Opponents to watch: Brewer, Lynch bring grit to Waco matchup

OTW_Courtesy_Baylor_Athletics1
Courtesy of Baylor Athletics

Texas’ chances of reaching the Big 12 Championship are now slim-to-none following a loss to Iowa State last weekend in Ames, Iowa. The odds that the 6–4 team is able to complete its preseason goals are very low, but its championship hopes aren’t completely dead given they win out for the rest of the season and get a tremendous amount of help. However, as Texas head coach Tom Herman says often, “Winning is hard,” and that will certainly be the case against a Baylor team that started the season 9–0. When Texas heads to Waco, Texas, for a matchup against the Bears, it will have to fend off a rigid defense and a dual-threat quarterback looking to prove his doubters wrong.

Here are four Baylor players to watch Saturday against Texas:

No. 12 Charlie Brewer — Quarterback

Junior quarterback Charlie Brewer has several ties to Texas football. Brewer’s grandfather, father and uncle all served as quarterbacks for the Longhorns. Needless to say, the Baylor passer grew up a Texas fan. Once the Austin native began experiencing success at Lake Travis High School, including a 6A Division I State Championship his senior year, he hoped his hometown team would recruit him. Instead, the Longhorns opted for his in-town rival Sam Ehlinger. Despite Baylor’s struggles during the early years of Brewer’s tenure, he’s proven to be a talented quarterback. Brewer’s 18 touchdowns through the air and nine rushing scores compared to only five interceptions have contributed to the Bears’ prosperity this season. Expect Brewer to play hard against Texas this weekend.

No. 93 James Lynch — Defensive tackle

Call junior James Lynch a sack master. The defensive tackle’s 8.5 sacks on the season have helped make Baylor’s defense formidable. Meanwhile, Texas’ offense has become stale in the last couple of weeks as three and outs become more common. One symptom of the Longhorns’ poor protection and offensive play-calling is the number of times Sam Ehlinger has been brought down — 26 times in 10 games. Lynch may up this total Saturday. However, the Round Rock, Texas, native does more than beat up on opposing quarterbacks. He’s also a skilled pass defender, recording two forced fumbles and two blocked kicks this season.

No. 5 Denzel Mims — Wide receiver

For the first time in several weeks, the Longhorns will be up against a true threat at wide receiver. Senior Denzel Mims has snagged 10 touchdowns on 50 receptions this season, making 2019 his most efficient year yet. Mims’ 15.3 yards per reception and 767 yards through ten games make him an explosive piece on the Baylor offense. The wideout’s size and speed may prove difficult to contain for the young Longhorn secondary.

No. 99 Bravvion Roy — Defensive tackle

Senior Bravvion Roy is one part of Baylor’s dominant three-man line along with Lynch and redshirt senior James Lockhart. Roy has contributed to Baylor’s five blocked kicks with a blocked field goal against Iowa State. The defensive tackle’s 3.5 sacks have also upped the Bear’s sack total to 33 — a conference high — and he’s recorded a forced fumble. Texas’ offensive line better get ready. The Bears are coming.