Fall 2019: Looking back, looking forward

2016-07-10_Tower_Fountain_Stock_Zoe
Zoe Fu

Looking Back

Homelessness

In October, the Austin City Council banned camping on sidewalks and within 15 feet of business doors and the governor sent the Texas Department of Transportation to clear camps from under overpasses.

Riverside

Austin City Council approved the redevelopment of student apartment complexes in Riverside in October. The 1,308 mainly student-occupied apartment units will be replaced by multifamily units, hotel rooms, and office and retail space.

Constitutional Amendment Elections

Travis County recorded the highest number of registered voters in October, and residents voted in November to approve several statewide amendments, including increased regulations for legislators to enact an individual income tax.

Welcher

In September, UT administration barred composition professor Dan Welcher from contact with students following the publication of an article in VAN Magazine alleging years of sexual misconduct with students. 

Jimmy Fallon

“The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” invited more than 3,000 students to watch the show’s first live taping on a university campus in November with Matthew McConaughey and Gucci Mane.

Looking Forward

Michael Center Hearing

Former men’s tennis coach Michael Center pleaded guilty in April to conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud. His sentencing hearing is scheduled on Feb. 4, 2020, in Boston.

Student Government

Student Government plans to increase the number of bathrooms containing free menstrual products, advocate for a diversity training for professors and lay the groundwork for a nontraditional student center. 

Primary Elections

Starting in March, students can vote in the 2020 primary election for Democratic or Republican candidates running for office on the local, statewide and national level.

Tuition Increases

The UT System Board of Regents voted during its November meeting to increase tuition by 2.6% per year for the next two years at all UT System academic institutions.

Construction

Construction for The Texas One Stop for Enrollment Services, Anna Hiss Gymnasium robotics research facilities, Welch Hall and Steak ‘n Shake in the Texas Union are expected to be completed in the spring.