UT School of Architecture ranked No.1 for programs with under 100 graduates

Architecture_0121_Architecture_RockyHigine copy
Rocky Higine

The UT School of Architecture was ranked as No. 1 among architecture programs with 70-99 graduates, according to DesignIntelligence, an architecture and design industry publication.

The School of Architecture was among 20 programs ranked, including those from Kansas State, Washington University and Arizona State University, according to the DesignIntelligence website. The publication also ranked UT’s interior design program as third most hired nationally and the landscape architecture program as fourth within their respective categories. 

Michelle Addington, dean of the School of Architecture, said DesignIntelligence is dedicated to determining the success of programs creating hireable students and ensures accuracy by grouping schools into different size categories based on the average number of graduates in their combined undergraduate and graduate programs each year.

“DesignIntelligence is the only national college ranking survey that focuses exclusively on design, and it is among the most influential and oft-cited program rankings in architecture education,” Addington said. “Schools are competing with their peers in terms of size, and this year, they gathered data from more than 123 design schools across the country.”

Tomi Yamamoto, the senior academic program coordinator in the School of Architecture, said the School of Architecture prepares students for their careers with programs where they obtain real-world experience and tools such as internships.

“We want to stay ahead of the industry standards or any changes that might be going on in the various design disciplines so that our students are leaving their respective programs with up-to-date, current knowledge and skill sets,” Yamamoto said.

Julie Latcham, the school’s director of career services, said the School of Architecture stands out because they collaborate with firms who provide networking opportunities and prioritize hiring students.

“It’s unique to our offices that we have several connections not within just Texas but across the world,” Latcham said. “Last year, with our career fair, we had 106 firms that were registered to attend our career fair and recruit our graduates from all over the nation.”

With the School of Architecture having obtained three high rankings on the DesignIntelligence list, Addington said they plan to continue strengthening and building on the essential foundations of architecture and design professions.

“These rankings are a testament to the quality of instruction, the experience of our faculty and our commitment to connecting what our students learn here to what is happening in the world around them,” Addington said. “Our curriculum prioritizes an interdisciplinary approach.”