Four former Longhorns to play in XFL

For some former Longhorns who weren’t able to make it in the NFL, the newly-formed XFL will provide a chance to keep playing professional football.

The XFL — which announced its return after just one failed season in 2001 — released its final rosters for the upcoming season, and former Longhorns Jerrod Heard, Patrick Vahe, Cedric Reed and Kent Perkins made the cut. 

Heard, who played quarterback before switching to wide receiver at Texas, will play for the Dallas Renegades with former Sooner quarterback Landry Jones and coach Bob Stoops. Throughout his career, Heard caught 58 passes for 540 yards and four touchdowns.

Defensive end Cedric Reed and offensive lineman Patrick Vahe both made the cut for the Los Angeles Wildcats. Reed started 32 straight games for the Longhorns and was a two-time second-team All-Big 12 selection his junior and senior years. He signed with the Buffalo Bills in 2015 and the Miami Dolphins in 2016, but never saw the field in his two NFL stints.

Vahe, who played for the Longhorns from 2015–2018, signed with the Ravens in 2019, but didn’t make the final roster cuts. Vahe started at left guard for four years during his Texas career.

Another four-year player, offensive lineman and right guard Kent Perkins only played one game for the Cincinnati Bengals in 2018. Now, he will try to rectify his football career as a St. Louis Battlehawk.

Cornerback Davante Davis was drafted in the XFL Draft by the Tampa Bay Vipers but did not make the final roster cuts. Ten Longhorns were eligible for the draft, but Davis was the only player drafted that did not make a final roster.