How new Texas offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich fits with Texas Football

Herman_2018-10-08_Texas_v
Anthony Mireles

After a disappointing and tumultuous 8–5 finish to the 2019 season, Texas head coach Tom Herman was at a crossroads — it was clear changes were needed. Those changes came in the form of the firing the defensive coordinator and demoting the offensive coordinator, as well as firing multiple assistant coaches, signaling a soft reboot of the Herman era. 

Among the demotions was offensive coordinator Tim Beck. Beck was then replaced by former Oklahoma State offensive coordinator and former Ohio State passing game coordinator Mike Yurcich. 

“I’ve admired his work for many years,” Herman said about Yurcich. “He’s very highly regarded and respected in the coaching world, and in talking at length with him, I was extremely impressed with what he’ll bring to our staff.”

Yurcich brings with him a simple but effective offense that focuses on establishing the run and creating optimal passing situations as a result. As currently constructed, Texas’ roster is a fantastic fit for this approach. 

Not only is Yurcich inheriting an extremely talented backfield, with junior running back Keaontay Ingram and freshman converted quarterback Roschon Johnson returning, among others. He’s also inheriting the presence of junior quarterback Sam Ehlinger, making Yurcich’s arrival tantalizing. 

Yurcich has a history of working extremely well with quarterbacks, adding Ohio State’s Heisman Trophy finalist Justin Fields to his list of mentees last year. He also brought the best out of Mason Rudolph and J.W. Walsh when he was with Oklahoma State. 

Ehlinger has the mobility of Walsh and the arm talent of Rudolph, making his fit in Yurcich’s offense a potential match made in heaven. 

Yurcich’s offense should be a healthy shot in the arm for Texas, but showing why that is the case is much more effective than just saying it. 

If you want to learn more about Yurcich’s offense and how it fits with the Longhorns, here’s a video breakdown on the man who will be responsible for turning the Texas offense around.