Fun Run brings foam cannon, obstacle courses to campus

0225_FunRun_BarbraDaly copy
Barbra Daly

Students took off on a three-mile Fun Run around the University campus Monday evening in preparation for the annual Longhorn Run on April 18.

Over 150 participants signed up for the Fun Run, which began outside Gregory Gymnasium and made its way down San Jacinto Boulevard to the Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs lawn and back up Speedway to where it began. The Longhorn Run is an annual spring race that anyone can participate in. 

While some pit stops along the Fun Run provided water and progress updates, others offered an obstacle course and a foam cannon.

“There are people giving out water and cheering you on along the way,” said Felicia Calo, applied movement science senior and campus outreach coordinator for Longhorn Run. “Nike has different setups that tell (runners) how far they’d been and how far they have to go.”

The Fun Run was aimed at helping runners get ready for the Longhorn Run, which is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year. The Longhorn Run consists of a 5-kilometer and 10-kilometer race that takes participants through campus and neighborhoods surrounding UT, and proceeds benefit Student Government and UT Recreational Sports Excellence Funds. 

The fun runners were split into three groups based on the speed they intended to complete the course. The first 100 people to check in with proof of their registration for the Longhorn Run received free t-shirts.

“There’s something really magical about running and training with a group of people as opposed to just running by yourself,” said Allie Runas, fun run participant and UT alumna. “It helps you remember why you’re running. I’m running for fun, and this is totally the way I want to train.”

Volunteer pacers from the Texas Running Club guided participants through the run and helped them stretch after the race to ensure everyone’s fitness for the upcoming race. The Texas Running Club is the official organization for club runners at UT, according to its website.

Longhorn Run also offers four complimentary training plans on its website to help participants get ready for the race.

“We’re celebrating 10 years of tradition on campus,” said Alden Marshall, student director for the Longhorn Run and government and management information systems senior. “A big part of Longhorn Run is bringing together students, faculty and the Austin community from all different walks of life to participate in one big Longhorn tradition.”