Texas Swimming and Diving leaves Morgantown with consecutive titles

swimming & diving 2018-02-23_Big_12_Swimming_Diving_Angela
Angela Wang

This weekend’s Big 12 swimming and diving championships in Morgantown, West Virginia was a meet of streaks for one team in the conference.

The top-ranked Texas men’s swimming and diving team left Morgantown with new records and their 41st consecutive Big 12 title after winning all 21 events during the week, while the Texas women finished off their eighth consecutive conference championship.

The men’s team opened up Friday night scorching, with wins in the 100-meter butterfly, the 400-meter individual medley, 200-meter freestyle, 100-meter breaststroke, 200-meter freestyle relay and the 3-meter dive.

Junior diver Jordan Windle took the top spot in the men’s 3-meter dive on Friday with 553.15 points.

“I saw people watching the event and really having everyone really diving lights out, and not to mention swimming,” Windle said. “There was a fire in my belly, and I wanted to put on a show.”

The men’s team carried that strong start into Saturday and swept competition in the pool. The Longhorns won every event of the day, with wins in the platform dive, 200-meter backstroke, 100-meter freestyle, 1650-meter freestyle, 200-meter breaststroke, 200-meter butterfly and the 400-meter freestyle relay.

In the 100-meter freestyle, sophomore Daniel Krueger broke the Big 12 record with a time of 41.26 to earn Big 12 Swimmer of the Meet honors.

“It’s a really good atmosphere, and you get a rush being held down on the blocks,” Krueger said. “I listened to whatever Eddie (Reese) says and do that.” 

The men’s squad finished out the meet Saturday with 1127 points, a full 254 points ahead of second place West Virginia.

On Friday, the Longhorn women won the 100-meter butterfly, 400-meter individual medley, 200-meter freestyle, 100-meter backstroke and the 200-meter freestyle relay

“Being on this team and swimming with these girls for Texas — there is nothing quite like getting up there and swimming with three other teammates,” senior Claire Adams said after her win in the 100-meter backstroke and 200-meter freestyle relay.

Just as the men did, the women continued their success on Saturday. Texas won the 200-meter backstroke, 100-meter freestyle, 1650-meter freestyle, 200-meter butterfly platform dive and the 400-meter freestyle relay.

After winning two individual events and four relays, freshman Kelly Pash was awarded the Big 12 Newcomer of the Meet.

“I was super excited and knew I could do a best time,” Pash said. “It was fun.”

The Longhorns polished off the title with a similarly dominant score of 1012 points.

The Longhorn women will continue their preparation for the NCAA Championships on March 18-21 in Athens, Georgia, while the men have their eyes set on their National Championships in Indianapolis a week later. Some Longhorns will be back in action this weekend at the American Short Course Championships at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center to make a final bid at cuts for the NCAA Championships.