7 films to watch while quarantined

breakfastclub_courtesy

With countless hours of TV time seemingly in everyone’s future, the Texan has put together a list of must-watch films that embrace the spirit of being quarantined, each in a unique way.

The Shining 

In the quintessential cabin fever horror film, Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson), along with his wife and son, agrees to be the caretaker for the mysterious Overlook Hotel during a brutal winter. As conditions outside worsen, Jack slowly falls victim to the haunting power of the hotel. Wendy and Danny fight for their survival in the haunting corridors of the Overlook.

The Breakfast Club 

The only thing worse than being stuck at home is being stuck at school. In this John Hughes classic, a group of high schoolers are forced to spend time with each other during detention. Since they aren’t permitted to leave the library, these students work together to make the most of their scholarly prison in a series of unpredictable events.

Shaun of the Dead 

In Edgar Wright’s Zombie comedy, Shaun (Simon Pegg) and his best friend Ed (Nick Frost) find themselves in the zombie apocalypse. As the world rapidly changes around them, Shaun and his crew must embrace their terrifying new situation in an effort to survive the undead outbreak. Featuring a plethora of comedic gags, “Shaun of the Dead” takes a dire situation and turns it into a blast of an adventure.

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off 

Who says “sick” days can’t be fun? In the iconic coming-of-age classic, high school student Ferris Bueller (Matthew Broderick) fakes being sick so his parents let him miss school. Bueller makes the best of his day of freedom by crashing a parade, joyriding a sports car and sprinting through countless backyards.

Ant-Man and the Wasp 

In the sequel to 2015’s “Ant-Man,” Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) is placed under house arrest following the events of the first film. Forced to make the most of his new living situation, Lang creates all sorts of wild means of entertainment, such as crafting an entire slide out of cardboard within his home. When Ant Man’s powers are needed in the face of a villainous threat, Scott has to figure out how to help the outside world while convincing the police that he is still at home.

Parasite 

Fresh off the heels of a Best Picture Oscar, “Parasite” is a must-see. The story follows a lower-class family whose members all obtain in-house jobs at an upper-class residence while concealing their related identities. The film takes place almost entirely in a beautifully stylized modern house. “Parasite” is a movie about a family wanting to spend as much time as they can at home, even if it isn’t theirs.

Beetlejuice 

In the 1988 Tim Burton classic, a malicious spirit by the name of Beetlejuice (Michael Keaton) begs for release from a ghostly prison. Meanwhile, a duo of newly deceased spirits are forced to roam the grounds of the house they died in. It’s up to Lydia Deetz (Winona Ryder) to work with these ghosts to stop Beetlejuice from wreaking havoc in the mortal world. It’s the perfect supernatural film about a gaggle of spirits who can’t leave their home. Sounds familiar, right?