Read while on quarantine: Books soon to be on screen

04022020_Reading_MeganClarke
Megan Clarke

Self-isolating and needing something to do? The Daily Texan compiled a list of books, all available on Amazon, that will be made into movies and TV shows for you to read ahead of their big screen release.

The Devil All the Time

Written by Donald Ray Pollock, this gothic thriller is sure to leave readers on edge. Set after World War II, the novel follows three main storylines: a war veteran struggling with PTSD, a set of hitchhiking serial killers and a young man seeking revenge on an immoral priest in his town. Mixing dark portrayals of religion with stories of death and crime, the book is not for the faint of heart. A film adaptation of the novel has been created and is set to be distributed by Netflix this year, starring Robert Pattinson, Bill Skarsgård, Tom Holland and Sebastian Stan.

Shadow and Bone

If you’re a Harry Potter fan, “Shadow and Bone” might be for you. The fantasy trilogy by Leigh Bardugo tells the stories of people with magical abilities called Grisha, and the oppression they face because of their powers. Also distributed by Netflix, a series adaptation starring Ben Barnes and Freddy Carter is in post-production, with an expected release within the next year. The show will be a mix of the trilogy and Bardugo’s “Six of Crows,” a sequel duology set in the same universe with a darker tone as it follows six deadly outcasts and criminals on a mission to break into the most secure building in the world.

Dune 

The classic science fiction novel by Frank Herbert is coming to the big screen once again, now with modern technology to help pull it off. Set in a dystopian future, the novel follows Paul Atreides, whose family has stewardship over Arrakis, a planet used for its supply of a mentally enhancing drug called “melange.” As the story progresses, controlling Arrakis becomes a dangerous responsibility and sets several plots into motion. The movie will be distributed in December by Warner Bros. Pictures and star Timothée Chalamet, Oscar Isaac and Zendaya.

The Woman in the Window

A.J. Finn’s “The Woman in the Window” is a thriller following Anna Fox, a reclusive woman who spends most of her days in New York City drinking wine and watching movies. One night, Anna witnesses a crime through her neighbor's window. An intense series of events follows and leaves Anna wondering what is real and what is a product of her imagination. Distributed by 20th Century Studios, the film will star Amy Adams and Julianne Moore and is set to be released within the coming months.

Cherry

Nico Walker’s debut novel “Cherry” is a rollercoaster that follows an unnamed narrator throughout several dark periods of his life. Having served in the war in Iraq, the narrator struggles with PTSD while simultaneously combatting his opioid addiction, resorting to robbing banks to get money. Set to be released next year and directed by the Russo Brothers (“Avengers: Endgame”), the movie stars Tom Holland, who will swing far from his friendly neighborhood Spider-Man adventures in this haunting story.