Top 5 video games to play with friends while in quarantine

videogames_rocky_higine
Rocky Higine

At this time, not much is certain. But as long the internet is up and running, video games are a way for us to socialize while social distancing. Many people do not have gaming consoles, but still want in on the fun. The Daily Texan has compiled a list of multiplayer games that can be played on a laptop or a smartphone. 

Psych!

This app, available (for free) on iOS and Android devices, is Kahoot’s PG-13 older brother. Created by Ellen Degeneres, this game will connect you with your friends and have everyone laughing. A host will choose a category, such as movies or personal trivia, and start the game by sending out a game pin to the other players. Once everyone’s answers are submitted, they become visible to everyone playing the game. At this point, the players vote on their favorite answer, and the player with the most votes wins.

Fortnite

If you are a part of the small percentage of people who have yet to hop on the Fortnite bandwagon, now is the time. If you do not have a gaming console, fear not! You can download Fortnite for free on any Apple device. In this game, 100 players are placed on an island and the goal is to be the last player standing. While on the island, players collect weapons and materials. You can also build infrastructure for your protection and advantage. You can play solo or in a squad with your friends. There are no second chances or respawns in this game, so once you lose, the only way to keep playing is to start over, making it one of the most addictive games on the internet. 

Evil Apples

If you’re a fan of Cards Against Humanity, this game is a great option to play with your friends while quarantined. Each player is given seven virtual cards, and each round is marked by a new judge with a fill-in-the-blank statement card, which you then have to fill using the best option of your seven cards. Whoever wins the round becomes the next judge. You can download Evil Apples for free either in the App Store or on Google Play. 

Mario Kart Tour

This classic Nintendo racing game is a fan favorite. Once only available on Nintendo devices, you can now get it on iOS and Android devices for free. In the app you can race up to seven other players — friends or strangers. The racetracks on the game are based on real-world cities and rotate every two weeks, keeping the game fresh and exciting. 

Houseparty

While all the aforementioned games are multiplayer, Houseparty elevates interaction by combining a video chat feature with four different games. This means that you can talk face-to-face with your friends while playing. The first game that Houseparty offers is Heads Up!  You can also play a basic trivia game and a game equivalent to digital Pictionary called Quick Draw! The final option for gaming on Houseparty is a game called Chips and Guac, a fun word association game. Houseparty is available on iOS and Android devices.