Sports writer works two years without writing a story

Cameron_30Spring2020
Cameron Parker

I remember the first time I walked into the basement. It was my first week at UT, and I was pretty sure I was in the wrong place. I looked around awkwardly after entering through the double doors — something everyone does at least once — and looked for the sports department. I saw a dude with an Oakland A’s cap on. He shook my hand, introduced himself as Alex and welcomed me as if I’d known him my whole life.

I knew two things growing up: I wanted to be a sports journalist, and I wanted to go to Texas. It always seemed like a pipe dream, too good to be true but fun to talk about. Next thing I knew I was attending The University of Texas at Austin, trying to figure out how the bus system worked and on my way to cover my first story for the Texan.

While I only spent two years at the Texan, I’m grateful for the time I got and the friends I made. I’m grateful I got to work at the best student newspaper in the country alongside some of the hardest workers I’ve been around. I’m grateful I got to work in the best department at the Texan: Sports.

To Alex and Ross, thanks for hiring me even if it was a no-brainer. Y’all made me a better writer and gave me opportunities I’d only dreamt of. I’ll miss our trips to Home Slice and the 90-minute wait. I’ll miss giving y’all the smoke in NCAA Football 14. I’ll miss sitting in the press box, giving each other the “holy shit we’re really here” look. 

I look forward to the day when we see each other again, working at our dream jobs because I know we’ll make it. We can reminisce about our time here, grab a slice of pizza and hopefully play a game of NCAA Football 30.

To everyone else, thank you. Thank you for welcoming me in and treating me like family. Even if I did work in the *whispers* sports department. Y’all made me a better writer and a better pingpong player. Peter, I’m going to come back and beat you one day. And you’ll be playing right-handed too.

Until then, hook ’em and see you when I see you.