The fate of summer 2020’s film slate

stateofsummer_dan
Dan Martinez

Hot Film Fan Summer will never be the same. 

When COVID-19 forced movie theaters to shut down worldwide, studios quickly adjusted theatrical release dates for upcoming films. The Daily Texan has highlighted what would have been summer 2020’s biggest films and provided an update on their current release plans.

Soul

At the time of publication, Pixar’s newest animated adventure is now scheduled for a Nov. 20 release, pushed back from its original date of June 19. The beautifully stylized adventure follows a musician who, after being transported out of his body, must find his way back with the help of other “souls.” In typical Pixar fashion, the film is expected to strike an emotional chord. Pete Docter and Kemp Powers co-direct the film, with Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey and Questlove starring. 

Tenet

Details on the plot of Chrisopher Nolan’s newest epic have been kept under wraps. Based on the mysterious trailer, elements of time travel are suspected to be involved in the narrative. As of now, Nolan’s film is still set to be released as planned July 17, but this is dependent on the opening of theaters. John David Washington (“BlacKkKlansman“), Robert Pattinson (“The Lighthouse”) and Elizabeth Debicki (“The Great Gatsby”) star in the upcoming film. 

Wonder Woman 1984

Patty Jenkins' successful interpretation of iconic hero Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot) was set to return in this 1980s-set sequel on June 5. The retro blockbuster is now scheduled to be released Aug. 14. This time around, the hero travels to 1984, where she reunites with Steve Trevor (Chris Pine) and encounters villains Max Lord (Pedro Pascal) and Cheetah (Kristen Wiig). 

Antebellum

This hauntingly ambiguous horror flick had fans talking when its nightmarish teaser trailer showed up in November. Gerard Bush and Christopher Renz direct the film, which follows an author who gets trapped in what appears to be a reality where she is a slave in the antebellum South. Originally set to release in April, the film is now scheduled for Aug. 21. The film is notably produced by UT alumnus Ray Mansfield and Sean McKittrick of “Get Out” and “BlacKkKlansman.” Janelle Monáe stars as Veronica in this exciting new horror offering. 

Candyman

Horror fans have been eagerly awaiting Nia DaCosta’s (“Little Woods”) reboot of the classic 1992 horror film “Candyman.” So far, the Jordan Peele-produced film has a haunting teaser poster and question-inducing trailer. “Candyman” has been bumped from its June release to Sept. 25. The true plot of this new installment is still unclear, but the trailer suggests a grisly human metamorphosis. The film stars Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (“Aquaman” “Black Mirror”) and Teyonah Parris (“If Beale Street Could Talk,” “Mad Men”). Tony Todd, the original hook-bearing slasher from the 1992 film, is rumored to have a role in the film. 

Black Widow

The highly anticipated solo film starring popular “Avengers” character Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) was supposed to be released May 1. With Disney delaying many of its theatrical releases, “Black Widow” is now scheduled for a Nov. 6 release. The film, presumably set before “Avengers: Infinity War,” is set to follow Natasha Romanoff’s dangerous quest as a Russian operative while facing off against comic book villain Taskmaster. David Harbour (“Stranger Things”) and Florence Pugh (“Midsommer,” “Little Women”) are set to co-star.