Longhorns land Quinn Ewers, Texas’ highest-ranked quarterback recruit since Vince Young

Herman_2018-10-08_Texas_v
Anthony Mireles

From 2003 to 2009, Texas was nothing short of spoiled with its quarterback play. The Longhorns went from national champion and Heisman Trophy finalist Vince Young straight into the Colt McCoy era, when the Longhorn passing record books were rewritten.

But Texas was hard-pressed to find consistent quarterback play until four-star recruit Sam Ehlinger took over as a true freshman and didn’t look back.

Now, the Longhorns are beginning to look forward to the next era.

Five-star Southlake Carroll quarterback Quinn Ewers, the No. 2 overall recruit in the 2022 class according to 247Sports, announced his verbal commitment to Texas via Twitter on Aug. 14. Currently, Ewers is one of 247Sports’ highest-rated pro style quarterbacks ever, ahead of the likes of Matt Barkley and Matthew Stafford, who are both NFL quarterbacks. The last quarterback this highly rated to find his way to Austin? Young himself.

“Congratulations on making the best decision of your life man,” Ehlinger tweeted out after Ewers’ commitment. “Welcome to the family!”

In just one season as the varsity starter at Carroll, Ewers vaulted his name into the national spotlight. He completed 72% of his passes for 4,003 yards and 45 touchdowns — as a sophomore.

Ewers’ is Texas’ second commit for the 2022 class. Four-star receiver Phaizon Wilson from Lancaster announced his commitment to the Longhorns just two weeks earlier. Wilson tweeted that he likes what he sees from his potential future quarterback.

“Texas building some special @QuinnEwers me and my qb gonna make sum happen,” Wilson said.

New Texas offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Mike Yurcich has a history of coaching elite quarterbacks. Yurcich held the same positions at Oklahoma State, where Cowboy quarterback Mason Rudolph lit up the Big 12, and was the passing game coordinator for last year’s Ohio State offense that saw then-sophomore quarterback Justin Fields become a Heisman Trophy finalist.

“We gonna LIGHT it up!!!  I was asked why I came to TEXAS? (No brainer),” Yurcich tweeted.

An early commitment from elite talent can have a major impact on future recruiting. 2021 quarterback Jalen Milroe, who had been committed to Texas for over a year, flipped to Alabama just three days after Ewers’ commitment.

“I have decided to decommit from UT and commit to another University that shares my visions and aspirations,” Milroe said in a Twitter statement.

Yet other recruits may be drawn to Austin simply by the idea of playing with a top talent like Ewers.

“So is Austin the movement @QuinnEwers ?? QB of the Offense and the QB of the Defense on the same team ..now that’s interesting,” four-star Cy Park linebacker Harold Perkins tweeted.

For now, the Longhorns are focused on what is sure to be an unpredictable 2020 season. Life after Ehlinger is uncertain, but with an early commitment, Ewers may have provided an answer.