Sure Walk implements new safety measures, aims to reduce health risks

0824_SureWalk_BarbraDaly
Barbra Daly

Sure Walk is changing their operations this semester to reduce health risks. 

Sure Walk, which provides free walks and rides from on-campus locations to home at night, resumed services Aug. 20 after a break following the University’s transition to remote learning in March. It will be available seven days a week from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.  

Masks will be required for staff and patrons, and vehicle use will be reduced, said Blanca Gamez, associate director of transportation for Parking and Transportation Services. Sure Walk now requires students to order a ride through a request form instead of walking up, making the process as contactless as possible. Operations have also moved from Jester West to Brazos Garage. 

Users with on-campus destinations are strongly encouraged to walk instead of requesting a ride, Gamez said. Refusing to wear a mask may result in the termination of a ride request, according to the service’s website. 

“In order to properly socially distance, we are pushing walks as much as possible on our campus,” Gamez said. “That really does ensure the ability to keep that 6-foot barrier around everybody participating in a walk.”

Gamez said vehicles used for off-campus destinations will typically only carry one passenger and will be cleaned before and after every appointment. Sure Walk staff also plans to keep all windows down and the air circulating to reduce the risk of infection.

With regard to student responsibilities, Gamez said students should “follow all the requirements the University has put out.” 

Although she does not plan to use Sure Walk this semester, dance senior Kelsey Bacic said she’s confident in the changes to the program. 

“I am very happy with the measures being put in place,” Bacic said. “If I ever needed to use Sure Walk, I would feel safe with their new procedures.” 

Psychology senior Olivia McQuirter has used Sure Walk in previous years but said she is skeptical of her need for this resource now that less students are on campus and many classes are online. 

“I live off campus and have my car, but if I was on campus I might use (Sure Walk),” McQuirter said.