Our collective climate responsibility

0918-RiyaAnand-climatechange-color
Riya Anand

Many of us understand that fighting climate change is urgent. 

Over the past few weeks, we have witnessed climate change’s catastrophic effects across the nation.

From the fires that set the West Coast ablaze to the hurricanes devastating the Gulf Coast, communities are reeling from the compounded impacts of a global pandemic and a global climate crisis. 

Members of the UT community come from a variety of different backgrounds and are each uniquely affected by these events. However, the state of our climate has major implications for all Longhorns.

More than ever, it’s important that we educate ourselves on the realities of climate change so that we can identify our roles in mitigating its worst effects. 

In this forum, geological sciences professor Kerry Cook explains the systemic factors that contribute to the deteriorating health of our climate and urges us to take action by voting.

Derek Lund, Political Campaign Director for Students Fighting Climate Change, argues we should hold UT accountable for its contributions to the climate crisis and use our collective power to pressure our leadership into developing a comprehensive UT Climate Plan.

As always, if you have any thoughts on this topic or any other, please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected].