UT-Austin students, professors have trouble managing asynchronous courses

0930_Asynchronous_MeganClarke
Megan Clarke

Many students and professors have opted to participate in asynchronous classes but are experiencing difficulties with the format. 

Asynchronous classes do not have specific meeting times, and students are able to do their class work and watch lectures during their own time. Students and professors involved in these classes are now coping with drawbacks such as keeping themselves on a schedule and the high effort required to prepare lessons. 

Undeclared freshman Skylar Boonme is taking one self-paced course, and he also did not know it was asynchronous when he registered. He said he sees both positive and negative aspects. 

“I don't have to worry about having to show up for a specific class time, but the drawback of that is when you have questions, you don't get any of the answers during class,” Boonme said. “You have to wait.”

Undeclared freshman Nataly Meza is taking four classes — all of them asynchronous. She said she was unaware at registration that she was taking a fully self-paced course load. 

“I have a class where the only resource I have is my textbook,” Meza said. “The teacher doesn't upload lectures. It's super difficult because I never know what to expect.” 

Meza said she struggles with focusing and procrastination issues.

“Before each week starts, I create a weekly calendar for every class,” Meza said. “I include what will be due, what I'm going to work on and how much time I'm going to dedicate to it.”  

History professor Henry Brands said he is teaching asynchronous courses because it is more accessible than an in-person, synchronous class.

“I have students, some of whom are in Korea or Scotland,” Brands said. “To ask those students to be awake in the middle of the night for a synchronous class is counterproductive.”

Like many students, Stephen White, classics and philosophy professor, is struggling to find his way through a new form of teaching.

“Once I've recorded the lecture, I have to go back and spend a significant amount of time editing,” White said. “This is an immense challenge, (and) it's eating up my weeks. I've never worked so hard in my life.”