Vote early to avoid Election Day crowds

ClaraSanchezPortela_electionday
Clara Sánchez Portela

Do you have a plan for how you’re going to vote in the upcoming elections? November 3 may seem like a lifetime away, but for those who do plan to vote, it’s best to get your ballot in earlier rather than later. 

While it’s always been good practice to participate in early voting, crowd concerns related to COVID-19 have made it even more important for voters to submit their ballots early, be it through mail or through in-person polling locations. 

Both on-campus polling locations processed a high volume of ballots on Super Tuesday this past year, resulting in extended wait times for many students. 

“The line wrapped around three sides of the (Flawn Academic Center),” mechanical engineering sophomore Satyavan Malpani said. “By the end of it, I had to skip my lecture because the whole process took around two hours.”

Holland Frieling, a physics and Plan II sophomore, voted early at the FAC for the same election, but her experience was significantly better. 

“It probably took around 15-20 minutes,” Frieling said. “I don’t really know why someone would choose to go on Election Day instead of (participating) in early voting. You know it’s going to take longer.”

With COVID-19 continuing to pose a threat to public health and safety, waiting outside of a building with hundreds of other voters for several hours isn’t exactly the best course of action.

While polling locations are taking measures to mitigate crowding and minimize contact with voting machines, the best way to avoid the problem entirely is for students to vote early. 

“There will be plastic shields and hand sanitizer, and all the poll workers will be wearing masks,” said Bruce Elfant, Travis County voter registrar. “There will also be finger covers so that you don’t have to touch the election equipment directly, and people will be required to stand 6 feet apart in line.”

Despite these precautions, voting on Election Day could still be a choice that endangers the safety of those who choose to do so. Governor Greg Abbott issued a proclamation in July that extended the early voting period in Texas to nearly three weeks, so voters now have even more time to get their ballot in before Election Day. 

Historically, voters ages 18-29 have had the lowest turnout of all age groups; however, now that students are showing up to vote in higher numbers, it’s important to make plans to vote early. 

Given the pandemic, it’s especially important for students to be as organized as possible when going to the polls, and it’s something that Malpani learned through his Super Tuesday experience.

“I’m probably going to do early voting for the rest of my life,” Malpani said. “I’m not going to vote again on a general election day, I think, because it’s just too much time. Especially during COVID, it’s just not safe.”

Ideally, a third on-campus polling location should be added to accommodate the sheer volume of student voters on Election Day, but that’s not a process that can happen over the course of a month. Right now, the most immediate and beneficial thing students can do is make sure they’re properly registered to vote and to vote as early as possible.

“I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that this election is going to change the future of this country,” Frieling said. “I mean, you could say that about any election, but there’s so much riding on this November, and that’s what motivates me. If I can do something to change things, I will.”

Chen is a finance and Plan II sophomore from Austin, Texas.