Multicultural sorority Delta Xi Nu aims to start chapter at UT-Austin

delta xi nu screenshot
Kaushiki Roy

With the motto “sisterhood, culture and education,” Delta Xi Nu is a multicultural sorority hoping to build a chapter at UT.

Delta Xi Nu was founded at Texas A&M in 1997. If they are able to recruit 12 students to become founding sisters, the Xi Honeys will become the third multicultural sorority at UT. 

Texas State alumna Shelby Hill Phillips hosted the group’s third informational meeting Tuesday and is working with the National Executive Board of Delta Xi Nu to incorporate the sorority into UT.  

The organization works to be inclusive to people of all ethnicities and sexual identities.

Phillips said the board planned to incorporate the organization for many years but could not do so because of different obstacles each time.  

“When we were looking through the Greek life organizations at UT, we were surprised there were no multicultural fraternities or sororities since there are so many of those types of organizations outside of Greek life,” said Phillips, the liaison between the national board and the potential chapter UT. 

Phillips said 2020 was a significant year to start the organization, especially taking into account the large social changes such as the Black Lives Matter movement happening in the United States. 

“We like to provide our members with the platform to speak on these (social) issues and integrate all types of communities,” Phillips said.  

Lucy Villegas, radio-television-film sophomore, said even though she was part of another sorority, she came to the informational meeting because she was interested in their mission and inclusion. 

“I love the idea of all types of women getting together and celebrating their differences,” Villegas said. “As a trans woman, it's hard to meet others who are welcoming.” 

One of Delta Xi Nu’s main goals is to bring more diversity and representation into the Greek life organizations at UT, Phillips said. 

Journalism freshman Thalia Menchaca said Delta Xi Nu’s method of reaching out to her personally made her interested in joining. 

“I was not planning on joining any sororities originally, but when they messaged me on Instagram, I was excited to see it was a multicultural sorority and liked that it was so diverse,” Menchaca said.  

Phillips said Delta Xi Nu is planning upcoming virtual social events to introduce more students to the sorority. 

“It really is an everlasting bond from the moment you don your letters to graduation and beyond,” Phillips said.