Games to watch: Week 6

Lillian Michel/ The Daily Texan

No. 22 Texas at Oklahoma, Oct. 10, 11:00 a.m. CT, FOX

The Sooners and the Longhorns find themselves in different positions than they normally are in, both coming off hard-fought losses heading into the Red River Showdown. Oklahoma has been struggling with COVID-19 cases as well as upset losses to Kansas State and Iowa State. While redshirt freshman Spencer Rattler has been in the talks for Heisman consideration, neither he nor the Sooners were able to find their rhythm last weekend. Texas senior quarterback Sam Ehlinger is also in the Heisman conversation, but not even his heroics were a match for TCU in Texas’ 33-31 upset loss last week. The last time a ranked Texas team played an unranked Sooner squad was in 2005, when Vince Young was leading the Horns. 

Mississippi State at Kentucky, Oct. 10, 6:30 p.m. CT, SEC Network

After head coach Mike Leach proclaimed that Mississippi State should have been playing NFL teams after upsetting LSU in the season opener, the Bulldogs helped the Arkansas Razorbacks snap a 20-game SEC losing streak last week. While senior quarterback K.J. Costello continues to make waves and keep his name in Heisman contention, the Bulldogs fell out of the AP rankings after the 21-14 loss. The Wildcats are coming off a one-point overtime loss to Ole Miss last weekend. Will the Bulldogs climb back into the rankings, or will the Wildcats be able to hold Leach’s famed air raid offense?

No. 7 Miami at No. 1 Clemson, Oct. 10, 6:30 p.m. CT, ABC

It's the battle of the Heisman contenders as the No. 7 Miami Hurricanes and College GameDay head to Death Valley. The Tigers have held the No. 1 ranking since the start of the season, and both teams enter the game undefeated. Miami’s last win against Clemson was in 2010. Since then, Clemson has outscored Miami 96-3 in their last two meetings. The Hurricanes may have found their answer at quarterback with Houston transfer senior D’Eriq King, but the Miami defense needs to find answers on how to limit junior quarterback Trevor Lawrence and the Clemson offense.

No. 14 Tennessee at No. 3 Georgia, Oct. 10, 2:30 p.m. CT, CBS

Although the Volunteers are riding an eight-game winning streak dating back to last season, the Bulldogs are the favorites going into this game. Tennessee may be riding a hot streak, but hasn’t beaten Georgia since 2016. The Bulldogs are also the first ranked team the Volunteers have played since they began their win streak last season, and Georgia is undoubtedly Tennessee’s biggest test so far this season. This also marks the first time that Tennessee junior offensive lineman Cade Mays returns to Sanford Stadium after a drama-fueled transfer this past offseason. 

No. 4 Florida at No. 21 Texas A&M, Oct. 10, 11:00 a.m. CT, ESPN

Because the SEC moved to a conference-only schedule, the two will meet for the first time since 2017. The Aggies return to Kyle Field after suffering a 52-24 loss to the No. 2 Alabama Crimson Tide. The Gators enter the matchup on a two-game winning streak after beating Ole Miss and South Carolina. After last week’s rout of South Carolina, junior tight end Kyle Pitts earned himself an early spot on the Heisman watch list. Last week, Pitts caught four passes for 57 yards and two touchdown passes after catching eight passes for 170 yards and four touchdowns against Ole Miss the previous week.