Moody College of Communication releases statement regarding Stan Richards’ racist comments

2014-09-24_Stan_Richards_Griffin
Griffin Smith

Update as of 10/15 at 6:06 p.m.: 

The Stan Richards School of Advertising and Public Relations released a statement on social media regarding Stan Richards’ comments on behalf of its faculty and students. 

”We are deeply saddened and disappointed at his choice of racially insensitive words and do not tolerate descrimination of any sort, especially following the racial injustices that Black people have endured this year alone,” the statement said. 

According to the statement, Moody College of Communication faculty, staff and students have begun “internal discussions to ensure all voices are heard on this matter” and will release more information once decisions are made.

Richards resigned from advertising company The Richards Group on Thursday in response to backlash, according to The Dallas Morning News.

Original Story:

The Moody College of Communication will be gathering information regarding the recent racist comments made by Stan Richards, according to a letter from the Moody College of Communication dean and Stan Richards School of Advertising and Public Relations director. 

On Tuesday, AdAge reported that Stan Richards, the founder of Dallas-based advertising company The Richards Group, made racist comments in an internal meeting. The Stan Richards School of Advertising and Public Relations, within Moody, is named after him. 

According to AdAge, Richards shut down an ad pitch for hospitality chain Motel 6 because it was “too Black” and wouldn’t appeal to Motel 6’s “white supremacist audience.” Employees had pitched an idea to celebrate Black artists, according to AdAge, and about 40 employees heard Richards’ remarks. 

In the letter, Jay Bernhardt, dean of the Moody College of Communication, and JoAnn Sciarrino, director of the Stan Richards School of Advertising and Public Relations, said they are gathering more information on the situation. The letter said they are in contact with The Richards Group and plan to speak directly to Richards soon. 

“We have heard from many people expressing anger and disappointment related to Stan Richards’ recent racially inappropriate comments as reported Tuesday night by AdAge,” the letter said. “We, too, find these reported remarks to be strongly concerning, and we recognize the hurt and pain they have caused.”

According to the letter, the University, college and school are having internal discussions with faculty, students and staff and will use the information gathered to make decisions in the coming days “about how best to respond consistent with (Moody’s) values.” 

In a Wednesday statement made to the Dallas Morning News, Motel 6 said they immediately terminated their relationship with The Richards Group after learning about the remarks.

“We are outraged by the statements made about Motel 6 and our customers by a member of The Richards Group during one of its internal meetings,” the statement said. “The comments were not only completely inaccurate, they are also in direct opposition of our values and beliefs as an organization.”