Pumpkins, haunted houses, ghosts, oh my!: The Daily Texan’s favorite fall attractions

1015_FallFun_SylviaAsuncion-crabb
Sylvia Asunción-Crabb/The Daily Texan

It’s that time of year again where we all pretend it’s cooler than 80 degrees, put on our best fall outfits and watch spooky movies with friends. 

Some of us like to relax and enjoy the wholesome autumn vibes, while others enjoy being tormented. Here at The Daily Texan, we proudly support all kinds of fall fun. And if you’re looking for some fall fun or spooky scenes, we’ve got you covered.

Pumpkin Patches

Take it slow at Crowe’s Nest Farm’s self-guided pumpkin patch. After you find your perfect winter squash, head over to the cow milking demonstrations. We can’t promise you’ll leave as a professional milk maid, but we can affirm that no reservation is required to enter the farm. 

Although face masks are not mandatory outside, they are highly encouraged, as is social distancing inside the barn areas. 

They’re known for their Christmas trees, but did you know Evergreen Farms has a pumpkin hunt? Take a free, socially distanced wagon ride into the Christmas tree forest, where mini pumpkins are hidden like presents between the trees. 

Face masks are required when social distancing isn’t possible, as well as inside both the shop and concession stand.  

At Sweet Berry Farm, you can pick out a pumpkin, gourd or both if you’re feeling extra festive. They also have scarecrow stuffing and a giant Texas-shaped maze where you can get lost and hope Freddy Krueger doesn’t jump out and grab you.

Face masks and social distancing are strongly recommended. 

Haunted Houses

If you want to question your sanity, join Scream Hollow on their 20 acres of dense forest. Here, you will find four haunted houses with 20+ buildings for you to walk — or run — through. Time to find out if you’re the toughest friend in your posse.

All staff will be wearing face masks, and social distancing is required. Parties will not be mixed inside the houses, and an option to remain 6 feet away from the actors is available upon entrance.

Although the infamous House of Torment is not open this season, its sister house, 13th Floor Haunted House, is sure to be terrifying. They have two attractions that will make you want to call home to your mom. After, you can learn a new skill in the ax-throwing class. 

Face masks are required, social distancing will be enforced and hand sanitizer will be available throughout the park.  

Ghost Tours

For those who want a more relaxed yet hair-raising experience, try a ghost tour. Walking Tours of Austin has a guided ghost walk highlighting all the eerie and chilling spots in Austin. 

Social distancing as well as face masks are required during the tour.