It’s OK to not be OK

1011-CarlyPhoon-Mentalhealth-01
Carly Phoon

Trigger warning: mental illness, panic attacks, depression.

You probably know someone with a mental illness. 

They won’t have a cast like they would for a broken arm, a runny nose or heavy cough. Maybe they’ll sleep more than usual, or not sleep at all. Maybe they’ll eat more than usual, or not eat at all. Maybe they’ll act like nothing is wrong.

Mental health is a crucial issue that is not talked about nearly enough. In the United States, one in five adults experience mental illness, and only 43% of adults with mental illness receive treatment. 

As a society, we struggle to accept mental illness. We blame the person instead of the biological and environmental factors involved. We treat those struggling as outcasts instead of lending them our support.

This must change. 

By fighting in the open and being vulnerable, we will let others know they’re not alone. That it’s OK to get help. That it’s OK not to be OK.

In this week’s forum, we hear stories from students struggling with mental illness.

UT’s Counseling and Mental Health Center offers a variety of resources, includings individual counseling and group workshops, to help those struggling with their mental health.

As always, if you have any thoughts on this topic or any other, please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] or submit your own story through this form: http://bit.ly/tinytexanstories