No Cats on Attack: Texas volleyball topples Kansas State in straight-set victory

_JDM4927
Jack Myer

The Texas volleyball team remains undefeated after defeating the Kansas State Wildcats 3-0 Saturday. The No. 1 Longhorns proved their prowess and comfortably won their sets 25-15, 25-16, 25-16. Texas used its offensive weapons and took advantage of Kansas State’s mistakes to improve its record to 8–0.  

The Longhorns have cruised by their opponents since the start of the season, only allowing Oklahoma to win an extra set against them Sept. 25 before taking the match. Against Kansas State on Friday, Texas was in uncharted territory — down 2-1 after the third set. It appeared that the No. 13 Wildcats would hand the Longhorns their first loss.

Though the team came out with a 3-2 win, Texas had something to prove Saturday after it allowed its first five-set match of the season. The Longhorns showed overnight improvement in their second match against the Wildcats. Texas had zero attack errors in the first set and left Bramlage Coliseum with only seven after Saturday’s match, cutting its errors from Friday in half. 

Junior outside hitter Logan Eggleston, the three-time Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week, had 17 kills, and junior middle blocker Brionne Butler tallied 10. Liberos graduate student Morgan O’Brien and freshman Nalani Iosia led the Longhorns with 19 combined digs: O’Brien claimed 10 and Iosia dove for nine. 

Kansas State took an early 7-4 lead in the first set after back-to-back kills from freshman middle blocker Kadye Fernholz and Brynn Carlson, redshirt junior outside hitter. The teams eventually tied the set at 10-10, but the Longhorns would run away with the lead after scoring seven points while the Wildcats only answered with two. 

Texas took a quick 8-2 lead in the second set and did not allow Kansas State to lead once. The Wildcats fought to stay in the game with a late four-point rally as the Longhorns led 18-9. It wasn’t enough to dismantle Texas’ strong offense; junior setter Jhenna Gabriel had 15 assists in the second set, and the Longhorns walked away with a set victory and 15 kills. 

Kansas State clawed back at Texas early in the third set. The Wildcats took advantage of the Longhorns’ service and attack errors to remain in close range while putting up eight kills. Yet, Kansas State could not hold on when they led Texas by one point. An attack error by freshman hitter Jayden Nembhard acted as a 15-15 equalizer for the opponents but catalyzed an eight-point rally for Texas that left Kansas State in the dust. The Wildcats squeezed in one more kill before the Longhorns ran away with three more points and ended the match. 

Texas leaves Manhattan, Kansas, with one test and two more wins. The Longhorns now await their weekend series against the 3–5 Texas Tech Raiders at the Frank Erwin Center.