Texas women’s tennis tallies 18 victories at A&M Invitational

10-19_wtn_Jack
Jack Myer

The Texas women’s tennis team competed in its second tournament of the season this weekend at the Texas A&M Invitational in College Station, Texas.

Texas registered a total of 18 wins over the course of the three-day tournament, including 12 singles and six doubles victories. Six Longhorns competed in the tournament against individuals from LSU, Texas Tech, Texas State, Rice and Texas A&M.

Freshmen Peyton Stearns and Malaika Rapolu, along with senior Fernanda Labraña,
each had a perfect 3-0 record in singles play over the competition. Sophomore Gabby Cusano picked up her first victory of the season and will look to build off of it going forward. 

The Longhorns tallied a total of six wins on Friday, the first day of the tournament. The experienced pairing of senior Marta Perez Mur and Labraña posted two doubles victories over opponents from Texas A&M and Texas Tech. The duo also captured wins in both of their respective singles matches. Stearns and Rapolu added to the total by defeating individuals in singles play from LSU in two sets each.

Texas saw four wins from impressive singles play by Labraña, Rapolu and Stearns, who defeated individuals from rival Texas A&M on day two of the tournament. Labraña and Perez Mur continued their dominance by adding to the win column, defeating a duo from Rice in doubles. 

Texas captured a total of eight wins on the final day of the competition. The pairings of Cusano and freshmen Simran Kortikere, Perez Mur and Rapolu, and Stearns and Labraña each picked up doubles victories over duos from Texas State. The Longhorns finished the weekend with five single wins from Stearns, Perez Mur, Rapolu, Labraña and Cusano.

The doubles pairing of Perez Mur and Labraña continue to show their veteran connection and now hold a 4-1 doubles record on the season. Rapolu and Labraña kept up their fast start to the season, as they each hold a perfect 6-0 singles record through the two tournaments.

The Texas women’s tennis team will continue play this week at the ITF Macon 80K Tournament in Macon, Georgia from Oct. 19-25. The Longhorns will also compete at the H-E-B Baylor vs. Texas Shootout in Waco, Texas from Oct. 23-24.