Introducing ‘The Deep End’

10-19_thedeepend_Destiny
Destiny Alexander

COVID-19 has affected everyone, drowning humanity in its radical disruptions and restrictions on normal life. For people in marginalized communities, it can be incredibly hard to stay afloat. 

I’m Neelam Bohra, this semester’s collaborations director for the Diversity and Inclusion Board. I work to create, edit and publish stories about underprivileged communities without invading their spaces or co-opting their narratives.

The Daily Texan is launching The Deep End, a series highlighting the disproportionate effects of the pandemic on students in marginalized communities. It is so much harder to swim through this pandemic with no support under your feet, whether your compromised immune system prevents you from being safe, your family culture makes it hard to succeed in online classes, or your financial situation forces you to the front lines as an essential worker. 

These stories will be produced in partnership with UT chapters of minority journalism organizations — the National Association of Black Journalists, National Association of Hispanic Journalists and Asian American Journalists Association, as well as any other interested UT organizations. 

If you are interested in contributing to this series, email me at [email protected].