Dell Seton therapy dog missing since Oct. 19

IMG_1266WEB
Courtesy of Maryam Navarro

A therapy dog at Dell Seton Medical Center went missing Oct. 19 while on a walk at the Turkey Creek Trail of Emma Long Metropolitan Park. 

Jack, a small poodle, worked as a part of the trauma services department and spent most of his time serving the staff at the emergency room, surgical ICU and the acute care trauma floor, said Maryam Navarro, a registered dietician at Dell Seton. Navarro said in addition to comforting staff, his owner would bring him in to see patients who requested him. 

“There's pictures of Jack laying on the bed next to patients, some of whom may not have been aware or able to acknowledge verbally that he was there,” Navarro said. “But the warmth of a dog next to you always provides some kind of comfort, and it often made the families feel better.”

Jack was seen Oct. 19 in the afternoon walking through an Austin resident’s backyard near Pearce road and City Park road. The sighting was confirmed by search dogs, said Navarro.

“When I started working with him in May 2018, I said, ‘Everyone should benefit from Jack,’” Navarro said. “I started to volunteer my time once a week and visit all of our floors … just to spread more of his warmth, to give people a little bit of comfort during a hard shift.”

Navarro said the search for Jack has mostly revolved around posting on social media like his Facebook page, searching the trail area and searching the neighborhoods around Greenshores and Ski Shores, near where he was last seen. 

Navarro said the owner has taken Jack’s sister, Ginger, out to the neighborhood and the trail to try to lure him out. The owner hired a group called TRAPRS, which set up hot dog pieces, water bowls and cameras, Navarro said. 

“Please think about returning him, not only to his mother, but to everyone that works at Dell Seton Medical Center … because he does mean a lot to all of us,” Navarro said. 

Those who see Jack can call or text 512-817-6090 or call TRAPRS at 844-287-2777, according to Jack’s Facebook page. Navarro said as of Oct. 24, there is a $1,000 reward for his return.