The Sound of UT: Christian Coffey

courtesyfromBenitoDavila__pictureofChristianCoffey
Courtesy of Benito Davila

Christian Coffey is a lyricist producing music in the rap and R&B genres, but he said he doesn’t want to confine himself to a single genre. Coffey’s love for music started in middle school, when he wrote poems for his schoolyard crushes, and he has been releasing music since 2017.

Since then, the theatre studies senior has released an EP titled Identity and an album titled Allegory. He said his artist name Hi I’m Coffey allows him to introduce himself until he no longer has to. 

The Daily Texan spoke to Coffey about quarantine, his latest work and his puppy Zoë. 

The Daily Texan: What song describes you now in this moment?

Coffey: I'm really feeling like “12.38” by Childish Gambino. It’s super long, but it (has those) chill vibes, and I’m having a chill, regular kind of day.

DT: When COVID-19 first broke out, where were you, and are you still there now?

CC: When COVID-19 first was going on, I was in Austin. I was right in the middle of making the current project I'm working on (and) was starting to come up with shows to promote because I dropped an album (Allegory) on my birthday (Jan. 18). I was getting sponsorships, and everything was going so right. But I'm still here, currently working on finishing up this … album. 

DT: How has quarantine shaped your music?

CC: Quarantine definitely forced me to sit down and give myself a better appreciation for music. Everything was a lot less rushed. Most musicians take so much time with their projects, but for me, if the idea is great, sometimes I rush through (creating the music). So thankfully, and this is me looking for positives within COVID-19, I’ve had the time to reevaluate my music and grow it to its fullest potential. Most of quarantining was me sitting down and (thinking), “Yeah, what I did right here was good. How can I make it great?” 

DT: What is it like being a theatre studies student and a musician?

CC: (They) definitely go hand in hand. For me, it's an interesting experience because I am encouraged to think outside the box on so many things. I want to be a theater teacher and an actor. Having these different avenues (allows me) to learn how to be a director, how to build props, how to teach lessons to kids so they don't get bored.

DT: What does music mean to you, and how has it impacted your life?

CC: I feel like it’s literally my lifeline. It’s helped me in multiple aspects of my life. When I’m working on my mental health, it's definitely been a great writing source. When I work out, I love to listen to music, and when I put my puppy to sleep, she listens to piano and instrumentals. It's gotten to a point where it's even become part of my love language. It's something I don't think I'll ever stop doing or ever get bored of because I feel like life without music would be colorless.