2 incumbents, 1 new candidate win 3 of 5 open Austin City Council seats, rest go into runoffs

2020-08-15_Austin_City_Hall_Presley
Presley Glotfelty

Of the five open Austin City Council seats this election, Vanessa Fuentes won District 2, Greg Casar won District 4 and Leslie Pool won District 7 as of 11 p.m. on Election Day. District 6 is a runoff between Jimmy Flannigan and Mackenzie Kelly, and District 10 is a runoff between Alison Atler and Jennifer Virden.

According to KXAN, incumbent Greg Casar won the District 4 election with 67.7% of votes, defeating challengers Louis C. Herrin III and Ramesses II Setepenre. During his time in office, Casar has worked to slow mass incarceration and deportation, vouched for Planned Parenthood and worked to end tax breaks on the wealthy, according to his campaign website.

“WE WON tonight!” Casar said in a tweet. “Elections are not destinations, but doorways. We've proven that progressive policies change lives for the better, AND they win. We won’t be bullied, and we won’t turn back. Let’s get to work.”

Incumbent Leslie Pool defeated Morgan Witt in the District 7 election with 67.3% of votes, according to KXAN. As a city council member, Pool has sponsored the Austin Climate Protection Plan, advocated for women’s reproductive services, and increased the number of social service providers for mental health, addiction and homelessness, according to her campaign website.

“Great outcomes!” Pool said in a tweet. “What a big win for D7 — thank you, all, so very much!”

Vanessa Fuentes won the District 2 election with 56.1% of votes, according to KXAN, defeating David Chincanchan and Casey Ramos. District 2 was the only wide-open seat with no incumbent candidate. Fuentes’ platform is focused on advocating for social justice in criminal justice, education and transportation, according to her campaign website.

According to KXAN, the District 10 election is a runoff between incumbent Alison Alter with 34.2% of votes and Jennifer Virden with 25.4% of votes. Alter and Virden defeated Robert Thomas, Belinda Greene, Bennett Easton, Noel Tristan, and Pooja Sethi.

Alter’s platform includes development reform through increased green space and transportation infrastructure, according to her campaign website. Virden opposes Project Connect and defunding the police and hopes to reinstate the camping ban, according to her campaign website.

The District 6 election is a runoff between incumbent James “Jimmy” Flannigan with 40.3% of votes and Mackenzie Kelly with 33.4% of votes. Flannigan and Kelly defeated Jennifer Mushtaler and Dee Harrison. 

Flannigan’s platform focuses on sustainable transportation reforms, reforms for affordable living in Austin, police reform and public health reform, according to his campaign website. Kelly’s platform includes maintaining funding for the police, reforming policies on homelessness and supporting local businesses, according to her Facebook page.

Editor’s note: This story has been updated to include results for Districts 6 and 10.