Former copy desk chief lets go of her mistakes

_JDM9401web
Jack Myer

It’s hard to find a nice, neat story to sum up my experiences at the Texan. But one not-so-nice moment at the beginning of fall 2018 taught me a lesson I still carry with me.

You see, my first shift as a p-staffer was the night the infamous “Welcome back freshman” headline was produced. And I was the brand-new ACDC who wrote it.

Obviously, my stomach sank when I realized we welcomed back one single freshman instead of the entire class of 2022.

I showed up the next day and saw my new boss “getting roasted” by everyone for the mistake. I realized a) I needed to befriend her and b) I wanted to be a part of an organization where we have room to mess up, can laugh about it and become better for it. I have become a better mistake-maker, editor, co-worker, leader and friend because of the people at the Texan.

Lisa, Kirsten, Megan and Tiana — I don’t know how I would have survived March if I wasn’t surrounded by such empathetic, thoughtful and smart women who weren’t afraid to lead with vulnerability and open hearts.

Marcus and Sami — I will always have a bottle of wine ready to share with y’all.

Donnie, Myah, Stephen and the rest of sports — Thank you for answering all of my sports questions (I still don’t understand golf). I never thought I would miss sitting in the office next to sports, but I do. Although, I don’t miss the bets on how late sports content would come in.

Myah and Stephen, we still have one more pun to write.

Sierra, Christina, Maria and Megan — Y’all handled the move to virtual designing and page edits virtually this summer so gracefully. Thank you for making page edits fun and typing in ridiculous headlines for us.

Amna, Presley and Jack — Y’all have been a blast to work with. Thank you for making me excited to come to work.

To my copy family –—My time with y’all has been filled with support, laughs, love and funny memes. Thank you for helping me enjoy nights in the basement.

Irissa, the personality test guru, you probably know me better than I know myself. You are one of the most intentional and thoughtful people I know. Phoebe, I miss our Sunday night conversations! You are authentically you, and I admire that. Megan, you have such a warm and welcoming presence, and you’re a fantastic editor. Lawson, your positivity and joy bring a needed light-heartedness to the team. Jimena, thank you for being a good friend and always having my back. I know I can count you to rip anyone’s ass up for me.

Jason — Our pact stuck! I am so honored to begin and finish our Texan journey together. Thank you for making me laugh and listening to my vents for the last three years. You make me a better editor. I will send you my papers for edits forever.

Kirsten — Thank you for having my back, whether it was taking the fall for the “freshman” incident or encouraging me to do the things that scare me. I miss stifling laughs at maestro with you. I hope we keep this long con up. 

To everyone still on their Texan journeys or considering starting, take the chance. Do the thing that scares you. And practice being OK when things don’t go the way you planned.