Games to watch: Week 14

Lillian Michel/ The Daily Texan

No. 1 Alabama at LSU 
Dec. 5, 7 p.m. CT, CBS

This time last year, LSU was on its way to nabbing the national championship and Joe Burrow was atop the Heisman watch list. This year, the Tigers are 3–4 and Burrow and much of last year’s team is in the NFL. The Tigers and the Crimson Tide were originally scheduled to face off in Death Valley two weeks ago, but COVID-19 concerns postponed the game. Alabama handily defeated Auburn 42-13 in the Iron Bowl last week behind another impressive performance from Heisman Trophy candidate quarterback Mac Jones. The Crimson Tide was also without head coach Nick Saban, who tested positive for COVID-19 earlier in the week. Saban says he’ll be able to make the trip to Louisiana after sitting out last weekend. 

Syracuse at No. 2 Notre Dame  
Dec. 5, 1:30 p.m. CT, NBC

Are the Irish back? The Irish have been on a roll, climbing to No. 2 in the polls after beating Clemson in early November. Notre Dame is set to clinch a spot in the conference championship in their first and possibly only season as an ACC member, likely with a rematch against Clemson. The Irish should be able to take care of business against the 1–9 Syracuse Orange.  

Texas at Kansas State
Dec. 5, 11 a.m. CT, FOX

After a heartbreaking loss on Senior Day, the Longhorns travel to the Little Apple to face the Kansas State Wildcats. However, Texas will be without at least two key players. Junior safety Caden Sterns and junior left tackle Sam Cosmi opted out of the rest of the 2020 season earlier this week, which doesn’t sit well for head coach Tom Herman’s job security. While Herman says talks with athletics director Chris Del Conte have gone well, the fan base is calling for a changing of the guard. Will more Longhorns opt out of the season, or will they be able to get over the drama?

No. 12 Indiana at No. 16 Wisconsin
Dec. 5, 2:30 p.m. CT, ABC

Wisconsin opened the season with a decisive win over Illinois, but COVID-19 concerns caused the team to cancel the next two games. To make matters worse, Minnesota was forced to cancel last weekend’s game against Wisconsin because of COVID-19 contact tracing. Those cancellations have made the Badgers ineligible for the Big Ten Championship on Dec. 19, though the Hoosiers haven’t fared much better. After losing to Ohio State two weeks ago, redshirt sophomore quarterback Michael Penix Jr. tore his ACL in a bounce-back win against Maryland and will be out for the season. Will the Badgers show up even though there is no hope for a Big Ten Championship?

Vanderbilt at No. 8 Georgia 
Dec. 5, 3 p.m. CT, SECN

It’s been quite a week for the Vanderbilt Commodores. Vanderbilt made history Saturday after senior kicker Sarah Fuller became the first woman to play in a Power Five conference football game. On Sunday, the school fired head coach Derek Mason after seven seasons and a 0–8 2020 season. Offensive coordinator Todd Fitch will lead the team against the No. 9 Georgia Bulldogs. Can Kirby Smart and the No. 9 Georgia Bulldogs take advantage of the turmoil, or will the Commodores get their first win of the season?