Self-proclaimed social chair leaves without throwing one last rager

Nicole_Stuessy_Courtesy
Courtesy of Nicole Stuessy

One perk about leaving the Texan during a pandemic semester is that I didn’t have to throw the orientation party, the Last Night of Print Party or any of the random ones in between. My roommates and neighbors are thankful.

I haven’t missed the countless Swiffer pads and trash bags used in the process of returning my West Campus apartment to a normal state after a Texan party, but I’ve missed the people. Something about sitting around the ping-pong-turned-conference-table somewhat delirious at 10 p.m. on a weeknight giving weekly highs and lows with the news staff just hit in a way a Zoom meeting could never.

As self-proclaimed social chair, I led The Daily Flexins, our co-ed intramural basketball team, to one semi-final appearance and many more games resulting in low sportsmanship ratings. To any RecSports employee who worked one of our games: I’m sorry.

Since fall 2017, I’ve worked in the news and projects departments in various reporting and editing roles. After three unpaid semesters as a general reporter — which I’m pretty sure is the record — and a thrilling semester covering construction on campus, I’m glad I stuck around to remotely lead an extremely talented staff of news reporters and editors this summer.

I learned a lot during my time in the news department. Most of that was how to confidently approach strangers on Speedway for an interview or how to pitch stories when there seemed to be nothing happening at UT, but I’m without a doubt a better writer and journalist for it.

In my time in the basement, I’ve been lucky enough to meet some of the most talented writers, designers, photographers, artists and editors serving the UT community. Even working completely remotely, the Texan continues to raise the bar for collegiate newsrooms across the country.

Working at the Texan wasn’t always easy, but these people made it fun:

Sami, you’ve been a great editor, and you’ve been an even better friend. Here’s to keeping the Hot Girl Summer legacy alive.

Meara and Chad, y’all are absolute legends. Journalism classes would have been much less interesting without y’all.

Kirsten, I don’t know how we survived some of those IM games. Thanks for always being down to talk about basketball strategy and “The Bachelor.”

Stephen, thanks for being the best sports documentary partner and giving me a reason to hang out in the sports department on occasion. It would get lonely over in the news department.

Neelam and Emily, I couldn’t have asked for better associate news editors this summer. I can’t wait to see what y’all do next for this paper and the UT community.

Peter, so sad we could never arrange that sand volleyball game.

To anyone I’ve ever approached on campus looking for a quote, thanks for not running away. You saved me from missing deadline more times than I can count.

To my roommates, thanks for putting up with the parties, giving me rides and bringing me dinner when needed.

To my mom and her Facebook friends, thanks for being my biggest fans over the years. When I thought no one would read my articles, y’all would.

And finally to the Texan, thanks for giving me a place to belong on campus. As graduation approaches next semester, I know I will take my experience from here into my career.