After 5 semesters at Texan, projects reporter says goodbye

Meara_Isenberg_Courtesy
Courtesy of Meara Isenberg

It feels strange to be writing this column now, when I feel so disconnected from campus. I’m taking remote classes this semester — and have been since the spring 2020 semester, when students were asked not to return to campus in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. I haven’t walked around campus, or visited The Daily Texan basement, in months. 

But The Daily Texan has continued to connect me with the Forty Acres during this time. I’m feeling grateful for all that the paper has offered me over the years, especially now. Not only has it allowed me to edit and write stories about things that interest me, but it’s also connected me to great people who are passionate about what they do and have helped me through the often challenging but rewarding experience of working for the paper.

Sami and Raga, I feel lucky to have joined you guys on the City/State beat freshman year. You’re fantastic journalists and friends, and I’m really excited to see what lies ahead for you.

London, Catherine, Chase, Lisa N, Maria and many others — thank you for leaving an impact on me as a less experienced staffer. I appreciate all your guidance and support.

Nicole, thanks for being the first friend I made at the Texan. You’ve always been supportive of me, and I’m really grateful for that. You’ve definitely helped make my experience at the Texan fun. 

Chad, Megan, Savana, Gracie, Neelam and everyone else I met while working as a reporter for the Texan: You all made my time there memorable. Same to Anna, Lisa D, Brittany and the other news desk editors that I spent long evening hours in the basement with editing stories.

Peter, thank you for reading all of my stories over the years and providing helpful feedback. I keep those suggestions in mind as I work on new stories. 

I joined the Texan as a general reporter in the fall of 2017 and became a senior reporter covering the West Campus area in 2018. From summer 2018 to summer 2019, I worked as a news desk editor and, briefly, an associate news editor.

After spending a year away, I’ve been lucky to be welcomed back for a summer and semester before I graduate, working on longer stories. I’ve been energized by fellow staffers at the Texan who have worked tirelessly during the COVID-19 pandemic. They’ve continued to make the Texan a publication that I’m proud to be a part of. 

I’ll miss the ping-pong table, the corkboard in the news department decorated with funny photos of staffers, the random times there would be Domino’s pizza in the basement, or even better, Tiff’s Treats. I’ll also miss the reliable basement vending machine, which came in handy during a long news desk editing shift. I’ll miss the feeling of working with other students and friends in the basement — though I’ve missed that for a while. 

For those of you trying to decide what to get involved with during your time at UT, I can tell you honestly that working at the Texan will be one of the most rewarding experiences you could have as a college journalist. You will learn great skills and connect with hardworking and passionate students at UT. I’m grateful for all of the lessons and memories it’s given me.