Big 12 power rankings: Week 15

Big 12 logo_lillian_michel
Lillian Michel/ The Daily Texan

1. Iowa State

Iowa State had no trouble beating West Virginia 42-6 last week. The Cyclones easily moved the ball against a Mountaineer defense that had been solid all season. The win concluded Iowa State’s regular season, and the Cyclones clinched the top spot in the Big 12 heading into the conference championship game.

2. Oklahoma

Oklahoma struggled early but pulled away against Baylor 27-14 last week. The win secured another Big 12 title game appearance for the Sooners, who are seeking their sixth straight conference championship, though Oklahoma will have to beat a strong Iowa State team they lost to earlier in the season. The Sooners were initially scheduled to conclude the regular season against West Virginia before the game was canceled due to COVID-19. 

3. Texas

The Longhorns routed Kansas State last week 69-31 in their performance of the year, though the win came too late. Running backs freshman Bijan Robinson and sophomore Roschon Johnson ran through the Wildcat defense for a combined 311 yards and six touchdowns on 23 carries. A COVID-19 outbreak at Texas caused the Longhorns’ final game of the season against Kanas to be canceled. 

4. TCU

TCU’s 29-22 win over then-No. 15 Oklahoma State last week cemented its status as the season-wrecker in the Big 12 this season after it did the same to then-No. 9 Texas in October. Sophomore quarterback Max Duggan was the star of the Horned Frogs once again, throwing for 265 yards and adding another 104 on the ground.

5. Oklahoma State

Whatever slim Big 12 title game hopes Oklahoma State had ended last week after the Cowboys lost to TCU. Oklahoma State started the season out strong, but three losses in its last five games was enough to remove the Cowboys from contention in a disappointing final stretch of the season. 

6. West Virginia

West Virginia proved no match for then-No. 9 Iowa State last week, losing a 42-6 rout. The Mountaineers scored a season low and allowed a season high in points to the Cyclones. West Virginia will not conclude its regular season against Oklahoma after the game was canceled due to COVID-19. 

7. Baylor

Baylor put up a commendable fight against Oklahoma last week, keeping it close until the Sooners pulled away in the second half. The Bears’ defense held Oklahoma redshirt freshman quarterback Spencer Rattler to just 193 passing yards, his fewest of the season. 

8. Texas Tech

Texas Tech narrowly escaped an embarrassing loss to Kansas for the second consecutive season last week with a 16-13 win. Junior kicker Jonathan Garibay kicked a go-ahead field goal with 5 1/2 minutes left in the game. The Red Raiders finished their season with a 4–6 record.

9. Kansas State

Kansas State was humiliated by Texas last week. The Wildcats had no answer for the Longhorns’ offensive attack, allowing over 600 yards and nine touchdowns. The loss was the fifth in a row for the Wildcats, a stinging reminder of how quickly they fell after starting the season 4–1.

10. Kansas

Kansas concludes the season in the place where it started and where it’s stayed all season: last place. The Jayhawks’ season will conclude without a win for the second time in six seasons and without a conference win for the second time in four seasons.