International students deserve classroom accommodations

EmilyMacCormack_accomodations
Emily MacCormack

UT has failed its international students.

With the transition to online classes during the COVID-19 pandemic and the widespread fear of an unsafe college campus, many students have chosen to stay at home.

What do you do, however, when your home is not in Texas or even the United States but rather halfway across the world?

International students comprise 10% of UT’s student body, yet the University has failed to provide suitable academic accommodations for remote learning. UT must quickly implement a universitywide set of possible classroom accommodations that are readily available to international students.   

Margaret Luévano, director of international student and scholar services, outlined UT’s current policy for international students.

“We understand the COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in numerous challenges unique to each student,” Luévano said in an email. “We ask students to reach out to their professors if they encounter difficulties due to their personal circumstances such as time zone differences or internet issues. If a student needs additional support … contact (International Student and Scholar Services) for further assistance.”

Although the University offers assistance when requested, the current system unreasonably places the primary burden of providing accommodations for students upon professors.

For instance, one of the most pressing barriers to remote education for an international student is the time zone difference.

Nghi Tran Bao Nguyen is a biology freshman and international student living in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. This results in an astounding 13-hour time difference.

Nguyen said although many of her professors are understanding and helpful, others remain steadfast in their attendance policies and deadlines. She described her weekly lecture schedule as beginning as late as 10:00 p.m. and ending as early as 6:00 a.m. As a result, Nguyen “feel(s) really tired” during the day and struggles with maintaining friendships.

Unfortunately, students often make sacrifices to keep up with the rigors of university life, but what UT asks of international students is too much.

Additionally, international students can face the considerable challenge of language barriers, which can further isolate them. As such, international students may feel understandably obligated to attend lectures in real time in order to ask questions and connect with their classmates.

Indeed, these students have shown an admirable dedication to their studies, but their sacrifices demand a dangerous price. The toll our international students pay is both physical and mental.

Ultimately, even the most accommodating of professors can only alleviate the challenges that international students face with online learning. To effect real change, steps must be taken at the administrative level. 

One possible solution could be to ensure international students are offered priority registration. As a freshman, Nguyen says the class times that would allow her to maintain a more normal schedule fill up before she even has the chance to register.

However, while priority registration would certainly be a good start, we have to do more.

For months, this problem has persisted. For months, the University has understood the difficulties that international students face without reaching out to help them. For months, our peers have balanced the schedule of a school half a world away with their own lives at the dangerous cost of their well-being.

It is beyond time for UT to become more proactive and provide the necessary aid to its international students.

International students, we see you. Now, we must help you.

Tran is a Plan II and English freshman from Houston, Texas.