What resources are available on campus after the winter storm?

Hannah Clark

Editor's Note: This story first appeared in The Daily Texan's February 23 print edition.

Despite this week’s higher temperatures, Austin is still reeling from the effects of last week’s inclement weather, which caused widespread power and water outages. 

The Daily Texan has compiled a list of resources and information for students looking for water, food, health services, emergency funding and personal care access. 

Water on Campus

The University will provide bottled water to students who visit the dining halls, University spokesperson J.B. Bird said Thursday. Erich Geiger, senior director of Dining and Catering, said the front desks of the residence halls also have water available for students living there.

Food on Campus

Kinsolving Dining Hall and Jester 2nd Floor Dining will be open Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 to 8 p.m. Both are expected to be open for regular hours of operations Wednesday.

Limited meal options are available at both locations, according to the University Housing and Dining website.

Cypress Bend Market will be open from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Jesta’ Pizza will be open from 2 p.m. to midnight. Beginning Wednesday, both are expected to be open for regular hours of operations.

Kins Market and Jester City Market will be closed Tuesday and open for regular hours Wednesday. Jester Java and Kins Coffee will also be closed, and their opening date has not been determined.

Cynthia Lew, director of marketing and communications for UHD, said that cash is currently not being accepted at dining halls, but students can pay by debit card, credit card or Bevo Pay at all facilities. 

Lew said that all normal dining hall staffers have been able to return to their posts, and food at dining halls is well stocked.

“We’re back to our regular (food delivery) schedule — it restarted today — so food is not a problem,” Lew said. 

Sara Kennedy, director of strategic and executive communications for the Office of the Dean of Students, said that she is unsure when UT Outpost will be open for food distribution, but they are expecting a food shipment Tuesday. For updates on UT Outpost hours students can check the Office of the Dean of Students website.

“We are anticipating being able to provide additional food support to our student community as soon as those deliveries are received and we’re able to open up reservations,” Kennedy said.

Personal Care 

Students can shower at Gregory Gym from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and those who live in residence halls or emergency housing can use the residence hall showers. 

Health Services

According to the Counseling and Mental Health Center website, telehealth appointments will be available for students Tuesday at 8 a.m. There will be no staff presence on site and no private offices for telehealth appointments available Monday or Tuesday.

To schedule an appointment or if a student is experiencing a crisis, students can call 512-471-3515 during business hours. Students can call the CMHC Crisis Line at 512-471-2255 for assistance after hours.

Susan Hochman, associate director for assessment, communications and health information technology, said University Health Services is open during regular business hours for both in-person and telehealth appointments, including testing for students who have symptoms of COVID-19.

To make an appointment with University Health Services, students can schedule online or call 512-471-4955. For after hours assistance, the Nurse Advice Line at 512-475-6877  is open 24 hours, 365 days a year, Hochman said. 

Proactive Community Testing resumed Monday, and appointments can be scheduled on University Health Services’ website. Testing is guaranteed only for those with appointments. 

COVID-19 vaccinations resumed at Gregory Gym, according to the UT Health Austin website. Those who have appointments this week can arrive at their original date and time. Those who had canceled appointments scheduled between Feb. 15 and Feb. 19, can arrive to receive their vaccine during a time period determined by the first letter of their last name, found on the UTHA website

Emergency Funding

Students can apply for emergency funds — that don’t have to be repaid — through Student Emergency Services, said Kennedy. The amount each student receives varies by person. The University gave out $17,000 in emergency funding last week, she said. 

Students can also apply for an emergency cash loan of up to $500 that has to be repaid within 30 days and has an interest rate of 0%. 

Students making tuition installment payments will not be charged for late fees on the second installment that was due Feb. 19, said Joey Williams, director of communications for the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost. Late fees will now begin March 1