Ty Madden sets new career-high in strikeouts, leads Texas to third straight win

Kenneth Jones

Texas has flipped the switch lately, both at the plate and on the mound in its last three games against BYU.

The Longhorns recorded their third straight victory against the Cougars and moved back to a .500 record as they shutout the Cougars 11-1 on Friday night behind a tremendous outing from redshirt sophomore pitcher Ty Madden. 

Madden, in his first game since the State Farm College Baseball Showdown, had a career night against BYU on Friday as he pitched to 16 different batters in 58 pitches, gave up zero hits and struck out a career-high eight batters.

“I felt good tonight,” Madden said. “I felt like I let my team down last week, and that’s a feeling I don’t like.”

This game wasn’t in question for long as Texas took control right out the gates, scoring seven runs in the first two innings, including an inside-the-park home run from redshirt junior infielder Zach Zubia. 

Zubia led the team at the plate, recording one hit, one run and three RBI’s. His early home run gave Texas a 3–0 lead in the first inning.

BYU, meanwhile, struggled to gather any momentum as Madden held them to zero hits through the first six innings. Cougar senior pitcher Mitch Mcintyre recorded BYU’s first hit in the seventh inning.

As the game went on, it seemed like Texas was leaving BYU lifeless. The Cougars weren’t able to put together any type of momentum throughout the entirety of the game because of how dominant the Longhorns were on both ends of the field on Friday night.

The Cougars were held to just two hits on the night and only mustered one run, which came in the final inning off a wild pitch from Texas redshirt sophomore pitcher Coy Cobb.

Throughout the last three games, the Longhorns have been hot, putting together a whopping 26 hits, 26 runs and 25 RBI’s after being held to just four runs in their first three games. 

The Longhorns are currently 3-0 in the series against the Cougars and look to complete the sweep Saturday afternoon at UFCU Disch-Falk Field.