Rainy weather delays nail-biting contest against No. 12 LSU

0305_softball gamer
Courtesy of Texas Athletics

The No.7-ranked Texas Longhorns were unable to finish their highly anticipated contest against No.12 LSU on Friday night as multiple rain delays resulted in a postponement.

The game will be finished at some point before the two teams square off once again at 3:00 p.m. Saturday.

Both teams took the field with a calm, focused composure that led to a slow first inning. Despite entering the game with a whopping 17 home runs on the young season, the Texas offense was unable to settle into their usual aggressive groove against the LSU pitching rotation.

Carrying the same energy into the bottom of the first, sophomore pitcher Shea O’Leary found herself fighting for every pitch as the defense struggled to secure the ball, leading to the Tigers’ senior outfielder Aliyah Andrews scoring the first run of the game. 

Continuing to battle it out through the second inning, the Longhorns were finally able to pick up their momentum with a deep center field blast by senior outfielder Shannon Rhodes to tie the game 1-1 in the top of the third. Senior outfielder Kaitlyn Washington then stepped up to the plate, squaring away a hit to center field. With the bases loaded, sophomore catcher Colleen Sullivan hit the ball off the end of the bat, allowing the Longhorns to bring home two of their runners. The third inning ended with Washington running it home for the Longhorns to stay ahead with a 4-1 lead. 

However, as the game continued, the weather became unfavorable, and the umpires called a short delay of a game due to rain in the top of the fifth.

LSU seemed to handle the break better than the Longhorns, nailing a two-run home run in the bottom of the sixth. Not long after, LSU followed with another home run, quickly bringing their deficit to 5-4. The Longhorns, defensively handcuffed by the Tigers’ hot bats, allowed another hit to center that tied the game.

With the game tied heading into the last inning of regulation, both teams brought a palpable energy to the field. Nevertheless, the rain began to fall once more, causing another delay of game in the top of the seventh with zero outs.

With the rain failing to cease, the game has now been postponed to Saturday at 2:00 p.m. The Longhorns will continue to fight for the win against LSU at Tiger Park with two Longhorns on base, no outs and a tie game of 5-5.