Texas women’s golf takes second at Mountain View Collegiate in historic fashion

_JDM8700w
Jack Myer

The No. 24-ranked Texas women’s golf team rewrote both program and tournament record books over the weekend at the Mountain View Collegiate in Tucson, Arizona, finishing in second place.

Through the opening round on Friday, the Texas women’s golf team set the school record for an 18-hole score, shooting 16-under par. As a team, the Longhorns scored 16-under 272, which tied the program's lowest 18-hole score in school history. The performance also marked the second-lowest round by a team in Mountain View Collegiate history.

Texas was led by senior Agathe Laisne, who finished in sixth place at 4-under par. Despite the sixth-place finish, Laisne was tied for second place through the first 18 holes. Laisne’s first round score of 67 is her second-best score of the season. 

After falling behind from her second-place spot, Laisne entered the final round tied for 11th place. In her final round, she posted a score of 2-under 70 with four birdies to two bogies, shooting her up the leaderboards to her final ranking of sixth.

Sophomore Sophie Guo opened the tournament with a disappointing score of 73, but posted two back-to-back rounds under par. After posting a 3-under 69 score on Saturday, Guo followed up with a 1-under 71 to tie for seventh place with a 3-under par overall score.

After leading the pack on Friday, freshman Ashley Park played the best round of her collegiate career with a 6-under 66 in the first 18 holes. Her score was the fourth-lowest round in tournament history, but Park would enter Sunday’s round tied for ninth at 3-under par as she scored a 3-over 75 on Saturday.

Park was able to rebound after scoring four bogies in her first seven holes, finishing tied for ninth with a 2-under par score.

Rounding out the top 10 for the Longhorns was senior Kaitlyn Papp, who tied for ninth place alongside Park. Papp began her tournament with a strong first 18 holes, boating a score of 3-under 69.

Papp entered Sunday’s round in third place, but after posting a double bogey on the 16th and 17th hole, Papp’s late surge toward a higher finish was stalled. She would finish at 2-under par.

Last weekend’s individual tournament winner, junior Sara Kouskova, finished in 16th place with a score of 1-over par this weekend. 

Kouskova got off to a slow start on Friday with a score of 2-under 70. After starting off Saturday with three birdies in her first four holes, Kouskava’s building momentum did not last, and she finished with a 2-over 74 in the final round.

The Longhorns will be back on the course at The Bruzzy on March 29-30 in Dallas, Texas.