Davis shatters another collegiate record, Texas Track & Field runs away with individual titles at Texas Relays

Payton Luster

Not only are the Longhorns winning individual titles, they are also shattering records.

Over the course of three days, Texas track and field produced many record-breaking performances at the 93rd Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays. The Longhorns dominated on their home track in their best outdoor meet thus far. 

Once again, junior Tara Davis has proved she’s in a league of her own. 

Exactly two weeks after breaking the collegiate indoor long jump record, Davis broke Jackie Joyner-Kersee’s 36-year-old collegiate record in the women’s long jump. Davis’ record-breaking mark of 7.14m/23-5.25 (+1) made her the first collegiate woman to jump 23-feet and is the fifth-best in U.S. track and field history.

It should come as no surprise she was selected as Texas Relays women’s performer of the meet.

On Saturday, six-time Olympic medalist Joyner-Kersee congratulated Davis for breaking her collegiate outdoor long jump record via Twitter.

“Congrats! I am so happy for you. I have followed your journey and with patience and hardwork it is all coming together. Congrats again!” Joyner-Jersee said in the tweet.

The Texas track and field jumps squad continued to dominate in the sand. In the men’s long jump, senior Steffin McCarter placed first with a mark of 8.17m/26-9.75. 

The Longhorns swept in both the men’s and women’s Section B triple jump Saturday. Freshman Stacy Brown Jr. won with a 15.61m/51-2.75 (+1) effort in the men’s triple jump — his first win of his collegiate career. Senior Sophia Falco flew to her first place finish on her last attempt with a mark of 13.24m/43-5.25 (+2.9). 

Senior Kathryn Gillespie ran away with the fastest collegiate time this season in the women’s 1,500-meter race. Gillespie ran against a tough field of pro-runners and former Longhorn, Alexandria Cruz, to finish third with a time of 4:17.94. Had she competed in the collegiate 1,500-meter race, she easily would have earned first place — Gillespie’s time was six seconds faster than the top finisher’s time of 4:23.73.

Another notable performance by Texas’ women’s track and field team was senior Elena Bruckner. The 2020 Big 12 Women’s Indoor shot put champion threw a personal best of 17.19m/56-4.75, earning her second place. Her massive throw places her as one of only three UT women to hit the 17-meter mark.

To close out the meet, the men’s 4×400-meter broke a five-year-old school record originally set at the Texas Relays. The dynamic team included senior Jon Maas, senior Micaiah Harris, junior Jonathan Jones and junior Willington Wright. Their time of 3:01.28 earned them third place, and their performance sets the bar for the rest of the outdoor season.

Next week, Texas will compete against Texas A&M in a dual meet at Mike Myers Stadium.