Texas Longhorns secure win over Iowa State with second-inning rally

Jaclyn Helton

The No. 7 Texas Longhorns completed a gritty 8-5 win over the Iowa State Cyclones on Friday night at the Cyclone Sports Complex in Ames, Iowa, with a massive second-inning rally.

In the first inning of the series opener, the Texas offense went quietly, failing to get any runners on base, let alone score.

However, the bats came back swinging hard in the second inning and gave the Longhorns an opportunity to make plays.

Sophomore infielder McKenzie Parker was the first to get the momentum going as she nailed a double just short of a home run to record her fifth double of the season.

Following close behind, sophomore first baseman Colleen Sullivan hit a high-drive blast to left field for the first home run of the game, recording her fifth home run of the year, putting the Longhorns on the board and tying the game 2-2.

Junior utility player Lauren Burke continued the rally, hitting a soaring drive to center field, recording her second triple of the season. Next in the lineup, freshman utility player Courtney Day blasted another home run, increasing Texas’ lead to 4-2.

“We had some notable home runs and just kept going,” head coach Mike White said.

The run wouldn’t stop. Junior infielder Janae Jefferson recovered after she struck out looking in the first by managing to hit one against the back wall, giving her time to slide into second.

Senior outfielder Shannon Rhodes followed Jefferson by driving in her 37th run of the year, allowing Jefferson to make it home to bring the Longhorns up 5-2. To close out the packed second inning, redshirt junior utility player Taylor Ellsworth had a two-run shot to give the Longhorns a five-run lead.

“It was a scrappy game for sure, but for us to come out and answer with seven runs was big for us,” White said.

The rest of the game went smoothly for the Longhorn offense, and they were able to score once more in the top of the sixth.

The Texas defense managed to keep Iowa State to five runs, but sophomore Shea O’Leary, the Big 12 Pitcher of the Week, uncharacteristically struggled from the mound. Throughout the entirety of the game, O’Leary fought to find the consistency she has been able to garner the past few games.

She allowed two runs in the first three batters to start the bottom of the first inning.

“She did a good job. She battled. It wasn’t her day today, it wasn’t her best day, but she kept going for us,” White said.

As the Longhorns prepare to face the Cyclones once more tomorrow, they look to improve their defense and work to better field against the Iowa State hitters.

“They can score some runs. They’re a scrappy team, their top four hitters are really good, they know how to play some defense,” White said. “This is a good team, and we cannot underestimate this team.”