Give students wellness days

Susan Cardone

Students are burnt out, especially right now. Trying to survive a pandemic while juggling school and daily responsibilities has not been easy. In response to this burnout, some schools have begun to provide students with wellness days that allow students to temporarily take time off from class and coursework. 

Pandemic or not, UT needs to show they are committed to students’ well-being by adopting flexible attendance practices. UT should allot each student a specific number of wellness days each semester that would act as excused absences. 

These days would function similarly to built-in vacation or days off at a job where students could use wellness days at their own discretion. Students need these wellness days for their mental and physical health and to prevent burnout that is increasingly common among college students.

Many states have passed legislation in support of mental health days. In 2018, Utah began to allow mental health reasons as a valid justification for an excused absence from school. In 2019, Oregon passed a law that grants students five mental health days over a three month period. UT would simply be following the necessary lead that many other states have already taken. 

Shubhi Nanda, neuroscience sophomore and co-chair of the Senate Equity and Inclusion Committee, said that although some of UT’s administration is open to implementing mental health days and flexible attendance policies, others are opposed. This makes it difficult to implement legislation. 

“There have been so many different stressors — whether that be in family life or academic life, Nanda said. “I think most faculty do not understand that it is taking a toll on people’s mental health.” 

Nanda agrees that having allotted wellness days would be both beneficial and equitable, especially for students who may have difficulties finding time or open appointments with the Counseling and Mental Health Center.  

“Even CMHC, a resource that is made for students to get help with their mental health, is overworked and overwhelmed,” Nanda said. 

Therefore, UT allotting a certain number of wellness days each semester would more equitably allow for all students to care for themselves, especially mentally. 

According to current University policy, “excused” absences are only for religious holidays, documented jury or military duty and University-sponsored events. Even doctor’s visits or mild illnesses are not definitively excused. It is up to the professor whether or not they will grant an excused absence.

Taking time off for health or stress reasons, however, is always valid, and that should be reflected in University policy. 

Social work freshman Anabel Hernandez agrees that UT should have more flexible attendance policies to help with the stress students face throughout the year. 

“(Mental health) is a priority we must take care of, and if taking a day off can help with that, we shouldn’t be penalized by a professor for it,” Hernandez said. 

By granting students time off for their well-being, whether that be physical, mental or both, UT can help students avoid playing into a culture of burnout and stress. A flexible attendance policy would send students the message that their school genuinely cares about their health because, ultimately, that should be the most important thing.  

We all have our days where we simply need a break. Give students those days. We need and deserve them.  

Cardone is a government and social work sophomore from San Antonio, Texas.