Longhorns sweep Kansas State 7-0, move to 20–1 on season

Sam Starr

The Texas women’s tennis team improved their Big 12 regular-season dual-match win streak to 29 on Sunday in an impressive sweep of Kansas State.

Senior Marta Perez Mur and freshman Charlotte Chavatipon have found their rhythm together since this past Friday against Kansas, where they played together for the second time and earned their first win as a duo. They made quick work of the Jayhawks and notched a 6-4 doubles win Friday, then followed it up Sunday with a clean 6-0 win over Kansas State.

Shortly after, on court No. 1, the dominant freshman duo of Lulu Sun and Kylie Collins clinched the doubles match point for the Longhorns in the first set. Ranked No. 7 nationally for doubles, the two lived up to their well-known reputation with a commanding 6-3 victory.

As if dominating on the doubles courts wasn’t enough, the Longhorns proceeded to bulldoze their competition in every singles match.

After finishing high school a year early and enrolling at Texas, freshman Malaika Rapolu has performed well all season. On singles court No. 6, Rapolu scored the Longhorns’ first singles point of the day, taking the match 6-2, 6-2. Now 20–2 in singles play this season, Rapolu has morphed into a force to be reckoned with.

On singles court No. 1, Anna Turati was looking for redemption after her loss Friday. Ranked No. 18 nationally in singles, Turati closed her first set with a convincing score of 6-0. Turati ultimately took a 6-3 victory in the second set over Kansas State sophomore Karine-Marion Job.

The Longhorns have dominated singles play all season, and with wins in every singles match of the day, their reign appears to be far from over. The team notched a perfect 7-0 sweep over the Kansas State Wildcats to improve to 20–1 this season.