Texas soccer in search of first win after 2-0 home opener loss to Georgetown

Vicente Montalvo

Highly regarded freshman midfielder Lexi Missimo created just enough space against the Georgetown defender and looked up at goal from outside the box. 

Seeing nothing in between her and the goalkeeper, Missimo took her chances, sending a powerful shot toward the net that hit the top of the goalpost.

Missed chances were the main theme of the evening as Texas women’s soccer failed to capture their first win of the season, losing 2-0. 

“It didn’t go as planned,” Missimo said. “We had many opportunities that we should have finished.”

Texas got off to a fast start in the first five minutes, keeping possession of the ball and looking to create chances. 

The Longhorns’ first real opportunity to score came around the nine-minute mark when they had their first corner. 

On an inswinging ball toward the outside of the box, freshman forward Holly Ward gained possession before trying to create enough space to take a shot. 

Unfortunately, a Hoya defender got in the way, deflecting the shot away from goal.  

Georgetown took the lead with 16 minutes left in the first half when a through ball to a forward set them up with a one-on-one opportunity. 

Fifth year goalkeeper Savannah Madden tried to come out and clear the ball out of play but missed as the opposing forward went around her and put the ball in the back of the net for a 1-0 Hoya lead. 

It’s going to take some time for the underclassmen to settle into their roles in their first year in the burnt orange and white. 

A total of five Longhorn freshmen started tonight in the home opener against a highly regarded opponent. Missimo said that as the games continue to go on, the play of the team will only improve. 

“It’s going to take a few games to get closer as a team,” Missimo said. “I mean yes, as a young team, we should collectively get stronger as the games go on, but I mean pressure is a privilege.”

Their inability to finish chances was not the only issue tonight. Miscommunication between players near their own goal put the Longhorns down by a second goal 12 minutes into the second half.

After Texas lost possession in their own third, a Georgetown player controlled the ball and then quickly laid it off to her teammate, Maya Fernandez-Powell. Fernandez-Powell made one move and fired a shot past Madden for the second goal of the match. 

In the closing minutes of the game, the Longhorns had a ball come across goal that the Hoya goalkeeper missed. However, there was no Texas player around to capitalize on the opportunity.

Now 0-2-1, Texas will continue to give their freshman players quality minutes hoping that soon it will pay off. 

“I like coming in as a freshman and producing as much as I can,” Missimo said. “I can’t say it again, next Thursday hopefully we come out with a win.”