Texas draws against No. 13 Rice on the road

Vicente Montalvo

Texas women’s soccer drew against No. 13 Rice in double overtime 1-1 at Wendel D. Ley Track and Holloway Field in Houston after failing to hold onto their lead and missing prime scoring opportunities.

Around the 60-minute mark, the Longhorns won a corner kick after pressuring the Owl defense near goal. Freshman midfielder Lexi Missimo took the ball to the corner flag, placing the ball down, as she sent in a winding cross to the far goal post. 

Freshman center back Emily Cox jumped up and powerfully headed the ball down into the ground, sending it right past the keeper and hitting the back of the net for her first goal of the season as Texas celebrated their lead. 

The celebration was short lived, though, as nearly three minutes after Texas scored and gained the advantage, Rice struck back to tie the game after the defense failed to limit the attacking forwards. 

The Longhorns got off to a fast start and looked explosive, moving the ball around from one side of the field to the other. Within the opening minutes of the game, Texas had multiple corner opportunities where they came close to scoring a goal.

Near the 24-minute mark in the opening half, senior midfielder Julia Grosso fought off multiple Rice defenders at midfield to win the ball as she looked around the field for teammates. Grosso found freshman forward Holly Ward, who was making a great run down the left side of the field. 

Ward created enough space against the defender and fired a shot at goal, but the strike was missing control as it sailed over both the goalkeeper and the goal.

It wasn’t like the Longhorns were limited to chances. The team finished the contest tallying a total of 35 shots, exactly 25 more than their opponents. 

Near the 30-minute mark of the first period, Ward created a chance for her teammate, freshman forward Tatiana Fung. Fung received the ball in the middle of the box from her teammate as she dribbled right, trying to create separation from the defender.

Fung saw just enough of the goal in front of her to try her chances, but sailed a shot over the goalkeeper.

The Longhorns almost took the lead in the second half when a player rolled a ball into the box. Freshman forward Trinity Byars tried her best to give Texas the lead once again, but the ball was just off target as it was deflected off the post. 

In the closing minutes of the second overtime period, the Longhorns had a free kick opportunity. A winding ball was played at goal, but the Rice goalkeeper found her way to the ball, securing it and keeping the contest tied. 

Texas now falls to 1-2-2 on the season as they continue to search for consistency in the final third of the pitch. The Longhorns will now return home in search of quality wins with a four game homestand at Mike A. Myers Stadium before conference play begins. 

This Thursday evening, the Longhorns will welcome Oregon as they look to hand them their first loss of the season.