Men’s Tennis kicks off season with seven wins at San Francisco tournament

Nikhil Guddati, Sports Reporter

Graduate transfer Richard Ciamarra started his Longhorn career off strong as the Texas men’s tennis team began its 2021 season in San Francisco, California, at the Battle of the Bay Classic.

Over the course of the tournament, which started Wednesday and ended Sunday, the team picked up seven total wins — five singles and two doubles victories. 

During the Battle of the Bay, Ciamarra officially competed in his first tournament as a Longhorn, and he did not disappoint. The senior transferred over to Texas from Notre Dame after his junior year.

As the fifth-seed, Ciamarra picked up a 6-1 6-3 win over Samuel Rubell of USC. Immediately after, Ciamarra and standout sophomore Micah Braswell defeated Rubell and Barretto of USC in the doubles Round of 16. 

After a spectacular career at Notre Dame that included three-time All-ACC honors, Ciamarra can bring experience to the table to a Texas team filled with younger players.

Some of these younger players on the men’s tennis team also showed out, especially Braswell. After an amazing freshman season that included being named the 2021 Big 12 Freshman of the Year, Braswell continued his momentum and easily advanced past the singles Round of 32.

Junior Nevin Arimilli and sophomore Evin McDonald also competed in San Francisco, picking up a few wins of their own. Both Arimilli and McDonald secured victories in the singles qualifying on Wednesday, advancing to the main draw. The triumph didn’t stop there for Arimilli and McDonald, as the pair joined their fellow Longhorns in advancing past the Doubles Round of 16.

Unfortunately, both Texas doubles pairing were defeated in the doubles quarterfinals. 

After their first tournament of the year, the Longhorns hope to build on their success going forward. The Texas men’s tennis team will continue playing next weekend, in Athens, Georgia, at the Southern Intercollegiate Championships. The team will also compete in the ITA All-American Championships from Oct. 2-10.