Senior Sara Kouskova shines at Stanford Intercollegiate

Ana Sofia Meyer, Sports Reporter

As the fall season progresses, Texas women’s golf continues to reinforce its long-held dominance in the sport.

Senior Sara Kouskova finished in second place individually as the No. 7 Longhorns tied for sixth overall at the Stanford Intercollegiate in Palo Alto, California.

The weekend meet presented itself as a new challenge for the women, who were set to compete against No. 1 Stanford, No. 5 Oregon, No. 15 UCLA and No. 20 Arizona State.

This challenge, however, was no problem for Kouskova, who held her second-place position through all three rounds. In the final round, Kouskova tied her collegiate-best 18-hole score of 66, finishing with a total score of 201, 12 under par on the course.

“Sara (Kouskova) played a terrific tournament,” head coach Ryan Murphy said. “Most years, her score wins the tournament. She was sensational from start to finish, particularly (in the final round).”

Kouskova finished in second place behind standout Stanford freshman Rose Zhang, who tied the Stanford school record, finishing 16 strokes under par.

“Came out a bit short this time but enjoyed every second,” Kouskova said via her Instagram on Monday. “(We) showed the real #TexasFight, I am grateful to be part of it.”

Sophomore Bentley Cotton and junior Sophie Guo finished tied at 30th and 36th, respectively, just ahead of freshman Bohyun Park, who tied for 41st after a 22-spot leap through the leaderboard during the final round. Park also recorded her first collegiate hole-in-one at the 150-yard fourth hole in the final round.

As a new addition to the roster this year, freshman Tiffany Cao made her collegiate debut alongside some of the strongest amateur competitors in the game. Despite a disappointing finish at 81st with a score of 24-over-par 237, Cao looks to improve in future competitions.

“Not my best week but we have to start somewhere,” the freshman said via Instagram. “I had an amazing time in (California) with some of my favorite (people) and am grateful for the opportunity.”

The team will look forward to continuing its streak of success at the Landfall Tradition tournament in Wilmington, North Carolina on Oct. 29.