Queer, Trans Student Alliance offers free pregnancy tests to students

Lauren Nelson, News Reporter

The Queer and Trans Student Alliance started an initiative in early October to provide free  pregnancy tests to students amid Texas’ restrictive abortion law that prohibits the procedure as early as six weeks into pregnancy. 

The pregnancy tests are available for pick up at the William C. Powers, Jr. Student Activity Center in the Gender and Sexuality Center and the Multicultural Engagement Center. The alliance also delivers tests free of charge. Students can request a delivery by direct messaging the organization on Instagram, @texasqtsa. 

“After the abortion ban got passed in Texas, we wanted to try to help out on campus with students who may not have access to those resources,” QTSA co-director Trinity Rust said. “It is really important to get tested if you suspect that you might be pregnant, so you can move on from there and this is a way that we thought might be helpful.”

There are no special requirements and no questions asked for students to access the free pregnancy test, QTSA co-director Adrienne Hunter said. 

“We really wanted this to be as accessible as possible,” said Rust, a cell and molecular biology junior. “Just go in there and pick it up at your own convenience.”

Hunter said the agency has delivered about 10 tests so far to students. The alliance is advertising delivery in West Campus, but Hunter said she would deliver a test to someone who lives outside of West Campus. 

“I think it’s even better to have it delivered,” government freshman Nickoll Santos Garcia said. “Especially for students that might not live on campus or they might feel uncomfortable going to the GSC or WCP to pick up a pregnancy test.”

Since QTSA is an agency of Student Government, the organization applied for special project funds from SG to fund the free pregnancy test initiative. Hunter, a fifth-year women and gender studies, anthropology and radio-television-film major, said the alliance ordered about 100 tests for about $100 and will request more funds if they run out of supplies.

Hunter said she will continue the initiative at least until she graduates in May, but hopes it will remain permanent depending on demand.

Santos Garica said this initiative makes her feel supported in light of Texas’ new abortion law.

“I feel very thankful that they have this initiative now,” Santos Garica said. “Just knowing that there is at least a center where students can go to get these free resources, to get information, to get help, that does make me feel better about someone who attends this University.”