Senior digital staffer makes one last character limit joke to say goodbye

Nick Susa

As a senior digital staffer, normally I’d keep my reminiscing and goodbyes to 280 characters or less. I’d call this amazing, life-changing experience “unforgettable” and leave it at that. Any long winded messages of thanks would simply be left at “thank you,” and nothing more.

However, leaving the Texan isn’t a normal experience. A few semesters ago, it was hard to think that I would ever join the social team. I wasn’t sure I could apply. I didn’t think that I had the skills to make a difference here. The good thing about skills, though, is that you learn them as you go.

Although, I could never seem to remember the @s for our sports teams, (sorry, Texas sports!) I learned so much from writing social copy for the different departments. Writing the social copy for Life and Arts articles always made my day. After I make it through these last few weeks, I plan to try my hand at writing reviews and listicles, too.

I joined the Texan mid-pandemic, so I never really made memories in the basement or sat in the newsroom to see everyone’s hard work. However, I greatly respect everyone who made the Texan their home on campus. Everyone here wants to help each other grow, and that’s what makes it such a great place to be. Being here and engaging with everyone’s work is inspirational.

Before I go, I want to thank Katya for making my first semester in social a great experience. I couldn’t have made it where I am without your encouragement and positivity.

Nuzha, thank you for making me one of your senior digital staffers this semester. I already loved trying to make our posts as engaging as possible, but getting to help the general staffers and post our work made it all the more worthwhile. I couldn’t have asked for a better final position at the Texan.

Bernice, I wrote and edited most of my copy with your guidance. You are like the Queen of news social copy. I’m honored to have worked alongside you and glad we made it through all the Double Coverage flipbooks this semester. Thank you for your trust!

Sarah, you always had my back. Since Bernice is the Queen of news social copy, you are the Queen of sports social copy. I couldn’t imagine this semester without you.

Lily, I’m glad you were my fellow senior digital staffer this semester. Keep up the great work!

Finally, thank you to our general social staffers. Remember to check that you’ve spelled names correctly, that your copy fits the character limit and that you’ve attributed sources. Most importantly though, have confidence in yourself, and make puns when it’s appropriate!

I’ve truly enjoyed working with everyone, and I wish you all the best!