Get into the spirit with 5 live theater opportunities this holiday season

Caroline Culberson, Life & Arts General Reporter

Editor’s Note: This article first appeared as part of the November 19 flipbook. 

As the temperature drops, the chill in the air calls habitual theatergoers to return to long aisles and hallowed halls for their favorite holiday classics.

With theater companies returning to their typical operations schedules, step back into old traditions —  or make new ones. The Daily Texan compiled five live performances to usher eager audience members toward the most magical theatrical experiences available this holiday season.

Bollywood Twelfth Night” at the Long Center, Nov. 18-21

Join Austin Shakespeare for the end of their run of a Bollywood twist on the Shakespeare classic at the Long Center’s Rollins Theatre. The opulent romp will surely attract fans of the bard, but the reframing of the setting and gorgeous styling should offer even skeptical patrons a fresh perspective on a long-standing classic.

The Moth Mainstage at The Paramount Theatre, Dec. 10

The famed storytelling nonprofit, The Moth Mainstage, comes to Austin’s Paramount Theatre, platforming five bold creatives to perform their stories. Over the years, The Moth has shared over 40,000 stories around the world. Literary lovers will be dazzled by the skill and poise of the performers, and the universal themes chosen to guide the stories will speak deeply to most every heart. Check out their hit podcast, “The Moth,” wherever you get your podcasts for a taste of the magic that awaits. 

Hamilton” at Bass Concert Hall, Dec. 7-19

For those who haven’t yet seen the national phenomenon in person, now’s your chance.  Already close to sold out, the curious and the devoted can snag single seats between spellbound groups and families as they take in the show. The critical acclaim and tremendous hype lend a breathlessly exciting feeling to attending a show of this magnitude — one that can’t be matched on the couch in front of Disney+.

A Miracle on 34th Street Classic Radiocast” at Old Settlers Association of Williamson County, Dec. 9-19

Penfold Theatre’s stylized retelling of “Miracle on 34th Street” as a 1940s radio broadcast, performed live in front of theater audiences, returns as a time-honored tradition in Austin. Like a scene from a Norman Rockwell Christmas painting, the costuming and sets of the jolly production will appeal to students and their families, perhaps as a lovely way to celebrate finishing finals.

A Christmas Carol” at The Topfer in ZACH Theatre, Nov. 24-Jan. 2 

The most famous Christmas story of all time returns to ZACH Theatre. The spooky classic offers heartwarming moments as well as spine-tingling frights in a show most probably know the plot of. Returning once more to a ubiquitous classic, whose lessons feel more and more salient with each passing year, feels deeply comforting. 

With finals looming, the pressures of the holiday season can feel intense. The breath of escapism and magic that live theater can offer provides a welcome respite from the realities of the end of the semester.