No. 9 Texas men’s golf places 10th at Amer Ari Invitational

Lindsey Plotkin, Sports Reporter

Senior Cole Hammer led the Longhorns to a 10th place finish at the Amer Ari Invitational this weekend, finishing in 15th place with a total score of 9-under-par 207 throughout three rounds of play.

No. 9 Texas men’s golf traveled to Waimea, Hawaii, to play in the invitational with 18 other collegiate teams across the country, including two other top Big 12 teams, No. 4 Oklahoma State and No. 10 Texas Tech. The tournament was played at Hapuna Golf Course, which holds a total par of 72 and is 6,875 yards long.

In round one, the Longhorns finished with a 3-under-par 285, in round two, a 10-under-par 278 and in round three, a 4-under-par 284.

Hammer led the Longhorns and finished the tournament tied for 15th place with a score of 9-under-par. Hammer finished Day One of the tournament with a 2-under-par 70, with one eagle and four birdies. On Day Two, Hammer scored a 4-under 68 with six birdies. On Day Three, Hammer finished with a 3-under 69 and six birdies. Hammer is a typical standout for the Longhorns, recording a hole-in-one at the Southwestern Invitational in January.

Junior Travis Vick followed behind Hammer for the Longhorns, tying for 23rd with a score of 7-under-par 209. Vick stood out on the final day of play, recording seven birdies and finishing the day with a score of 5-under 67.

After finishing Day One in 14th place, the Longhorns scored a 10-under-par 278 on Day Two, jumping ahead five spots to ninth place. On Day Three of the tournament, Stanford pushed past the Longhorns with a 16-under-par 272, setting the Longhorns back to 10th place.

Oklahoma State and Texas Tech finished top two in the tournament, with Oklahoma State’s Eugenio Lopez-Chacarra finishing in first place with a total score of 19-under-par 197. Texas Tech’s Baard Skogen placed second, with a score of 17-under-par 199.

Oklahoma State beat Texas Tech by just one stroke to land in first with a total score of 50-under-par 814 to Tech’s 49-under-par 815. After being tied with the Auburn Tigers in the third round, the Longhorns finished out on top by one point, with a total score of 17-under-par 847 to the Tigers’ 18-under-par 848.

The Longhorns’ next tournament, the Southern Highlands Collegiate, begins in Las Vegas on Feb. 27.